Waiver for NT Twinsulator U-Factor?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ltullos

Waiver for NT Twinsulator U-Factor?

#1 Post by ltullos »

I'm in N Texas and want to purcahse 20+ NT Twinsulator to match original Al windows and to avoid vinyl warping from brutal west sun. I'm told that these do not meet Town's energy code for U-Factor though. Very reputable installer is willing to install w/o building permit; but I'm wondering if any installer has ever been able to get a waiver to code. Seems like it would be a dead-end discussion with my city but if I could arm myself with the right info, I would give it a shot if I can cite other cases.

Randy

Re: Waiver for NT Twinsulator U-Factor?

#2 Post by Randy »

I seriously doubt you would get a waiver unless you’re doing a remodel large enough to allow for offsets. Permits for window replacement in Texas are a revenue generator (permit purchase + increased property tax value) and a way for bureaucrats to exercise control over what homeowners do with their own homes. Some municipalities will inspect to at least make sure tempered glass is used where required, but many don’t even bother doing that. You’ll have to decide whether it’s worth it or not.

DFW is a tough market with enormous windows and a climate that swings from brutally hot summers to cold winters with windy conditions with frequent ice. I understand and sympathize with your concerns over vinyl window - especially in a market where premium brands are mostly absent.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Looks like you may be able to get there single hung in triple pane that meet code. Milgard has one that meets code. I get the big brother angle but the minimum code is fairly easy to meet. At some point these companies should update their products.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

"Permits for window replacement in Texas are a revenue generator (permit purchase + increased property tax value) and a way for bureaucrats to exercise control over what homeowners do with their own homes."

I agree, unless it is a clear safety issue, butt out.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

To the OP, what Todd neglected to mention is that an aluminum window that meets code will require accepting a VT rating of .37 - .41. So if you're good with dark windows that greatly reduce the amount of light coming in, they might indeed be an option worth considering. From my experience, very few Texas homeowners find that an acceptable compromise.

Additionally, if you have any of the oversized windows that are common in Texas, triple pane most likely won't be available on those, rendering the option moot.

Texas isn't Minnesota. We like our gas stoves, our gas lawnmowers and believe that homeowners have a right to freely choose the best products for their home without the coercion of government bureaucrats.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The Milgard makes code in dual pane with a VLT of .57.
I got triples in my house and even though the sun is not as big here as it is in Texas I find it plenty bright in here.
My stove is gas , mower is a 7’ diesel, and I mix oil in the gas on my motorcycles.
We all like choices.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

"The Milgard makes code in dual pane with a VLT of .57."

1. Is Milgard an option in Texas?

2. What specifically is the code where the OP lives?

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

My point with Milgard was to show that an aluminum window can achieve lower u-values with a dual pane .
The state energy code appears to be 0.35 for u-value. I don’t know if there are any local codes that supersede it.
Milgard left the Texas market in 2020.