Air infiltration, PG and DP rating question.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rebar

Re: Air infiltration, PG and DP rating question.

#16 Post by rebar »

Im starting to get it, and the only way for me to do that is ask questions before I call or walk into a store. Thanks everyone.

What Im gathering is when looking at the NFRC sticker, it would be rare see anything less than <0.3 AL?

And a video I watched stated that some companies try to "win the window sticker game" by sending samples to NFRC with for example, 6 coats of low E or something ridiculous to make the sticker numbers look better.. Why even have NFRC stickers if a company can manipulate the results in their favor?

All I can say is what a deceptive industry. One story of windows showing up without NFRC stickers and the owner told they blew off en-route.. Basically buying something, but receiving something else. :(

HomeSealed

Re: Air infiltration, PG and DP rating question.

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

rebar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:25 pm Im starting to get it, and the only way for me to do that is ask questions before I call or walk into a store. Thanks everyone.

What Im gathering is when looking at the NFRC sticker, it would be rare see anything less than <0.3 AL?
Not rare, but impossible. It will either show nothing, or <0.3
rebar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:25 pm And a video I watched stated that some companies try to "win the window sticker game" by sending samples to NFRC with for example, 6 coats of low E or something ridiculous to make the sticker numbers look better.. Why even have NFRC stickers if a company can manipulate the results in their favor?
This is little trickier, as a sticker with accurate thermal ratings is required to be affixed to each window that you purchase. Is there still some trickery? You bet. But again, the NFRC thermal ratings are a little bit easier to verify.
rebar wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:25 pm All I can say is what a deceptive industry. One story of windows showing up without NFRC stickers and the owner told they blew off en-route.. Basically buying something, but receiving something else. :(
Unfortunately this is true. The worst case scenarios may not be quite as common, however they are not unheard of. I can speak on one company in my market that is a huge, national player and some key personnel went on to to train sales teams across the country and their big scam was to sell folks on heat mirror technology (amazing on paper, not so much in real life) only to then install a completely different window with conventional double or triple pane.