Anderson 200s as replacement windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SD777

Anderson 200s as replacement windows?

#1 Post by SD777 »

I'm trying to replace some windows on my 2nd floor and hoping I can do everything inside the home without disturbing the siding. I have my trim removed and measured the rough openings and went to Home Depot who suggested Anderson 200's https://www.homedepot.com/p/Andersen-35 ... /301985274

I made sure and specified I needed them as replacement windows and not new construction. Of note my old windows were about 3 1/4" wide, the Anderson's recommended are about 4 1/2" wide, I mentioned this and the home depot window guy said I would just have to cut the trim on the bottom a bit for them to fit. Even the HD website lists the 200s series under replacement. After getting these delivered it looks like they have nailing flanges, from what I understand I can just cut off the nailing flanges to convert them to replacement windows.

My concern is that if my old windows are nail flanged I would assume I have to cut them out to get them out (without disturbing the siding). I suspect the old windows are nail flanged because there is aluminum flashing nailed all around the outside. If I do cut out the old windows I'm not sure where the new windows would rest, and what part of the window's front face would contact something to be caulked. I'm also kind of doubting these are replacement windows as they are much deeper than my old windows.

Any thoughts on where to start with this? I'd like to have the correct window before I go cutting out the old window and cutting the flange off the new window, making it not returnable.

Delaware Mike

Re: Anderson 200s as replacement windows?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

What makes a replacement window and retrofit/insert pocket window is the fact that it's frame depth is 3.25" and fits inside of the original wood window frame series of stops (exterior/interior) which allows for a less comprehensive project as one doesn't have to go down to the rough opening or remove interior trim casings. There is wiggle room on the wording as flanged new construction vinyl may not be able to be removed in cases of cultured stone and brick veneer homes. Dealing with Home Depot is like going to a lumberjack to get a haircut.

SD777

#3 Post by SD777 »

I was able to rip the old window frame off and find what was behind. Looks like it wasn't nail flanged at all, just inserted into the rough frame against a blocked face. The rough opening is 36 x 53 3/4, but they blocked off all 4 sides to create a face, that blocking reduces the rough size to 34 1/4 x 52 1/2. So I'd either need to remove the blocking and lose the aluminum flashing around it, which looks well made, or get a smaller window that wouldn't be able to be caulked to a face, that's if I stay with the Anderson which is about 6" deep counting the vinyl trim beyond the nail flange.

I thought about going with the Pellas because they are 3 1/4 deep out of the box and will just drop in, but I've read so many negative reviews about the Pellas. I'll have to see if HD can special order the right size.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

Delaware Mike wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:56 am What makes a replacement window and retrofit/insert pocket window is the fact that it's frame depth is 3.25" and fits inside of the original wood window frame series of stops (exterior/interior) which allows for a less comprehensive project as one doesn't have to go down to the rough opening or remove interior trim casings. There is wiggle room on the wording as flanged new construction vinyl may not be able to be removed in cases of cultured stone and brick veneer homes. Dealing with Home Depot is like going to a lumberjack to get a haircut.
My barber must be a lumberjack. Time to get a new barber.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can use a "new construction" window as an insert and an insert window as a new construction.
You just need to know what you are doing.
theWindowNerd

SD777

#6 Post by SD777 »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:36 pm You can use a "new construction" window as an insert and an insert window as a new construction.
You just need to know what you are doing.
theWindowNerd
Yep already installed, I just cut off the nail flange and sealed the window to the face blocking similar to the old window. What was holding me up was not realizing it had extension jambs installed, once I took those off it fit the old rough in no problem. I wish I had that info beforehand though, I guess this isn't the forum for technical window installation stuff.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

We can go beyond technical with the combined field experience here. Without pictures and being in front of the project, we don't see what you see.