Name of group of windows that fits between studs? No header?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Name of group of windows that fits between studs? No header?

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

rebar wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am
WHITE GAS wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am
rebar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 am This addition has engineered trusses, so its not load bearing.

I was wondering about windows that were designed to fit between studs, but made to look like one unit for my other property and I'm disappointed that they don't exist.
ALL exterior walls are load bearing…engineered truss, stick framed, balloon framed, etc. The truss supports the weight of the sheathing, shingles, and yes itself to some degree, but that weight transfers to down forces; we commonly call this gravity.
Is my kitchen partition wall load bearing even though it only supports potted plants? Is that how you talk to your customers? You may want to stick to decaf.
Sorry about that rebar, don't mind the trolls.

Let us know if you still have any remaining questions on this.

WHITE GAS

#17 Post by WHITE GAS »

Last edited by WHITE GAS on Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why do you say that? If they are 16" OC, the adjacent truss is bearing the weight of two truss bays whereas that gable end truss only has one truss bay.

WHITE GAS

#19 Post by WHITE GAS »

Last edited by WHITE GAS on Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

Was just in a roof that was 16 OC, but you are correct that most are 24 OC.

Points still stands that the gable end truss is only supporting the weight of half of that adjacent truss bay whereas a truss in the open field of the roof is support two (2) halves of truss bays. Therefore carrying more load.

The exterior cladding would be minimal save for maybe stucco and brick load would never be carried on a framed wall. The vertical framing on a gable end truss direct the weight to the top of the framed wall but my point as to load was that carried across the top of the truss, i.e. roof load.

rebar

#21 Post by rebar »

I still don't understand why no one in the industry, like the mobile home industry, has played with the idea of a header-less window unit.. You could group four windows that fit between studs, and then create trim that gives the illusion that its one window.

Just a homeowners opinion.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

rebar wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am I still don't understand why no one in the industry, like the mobile home industry, has played with the idea of a header-less window unit.. You could group four windows that fit between studs, and then create trim that gives the illusion that its one window.

Just a homeowners opinion.
What do you foresee being different about the window itself? ...There really isn't anything. You could take any window and size it to fit between studs if you wanted, but most folks simply don't want windows that are that narrow.

TheWindowNerd

#23 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you had the narrowest frame you would end up with 11" VG. Not very marketable.
You can direct glaze it your self and maybe end up with 13" VG. Still tiny and no market.
theWindowNerd