New windows - wrong glass

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
electric451

New windows - wrong glass

#1 Post by electric451 »

I recently had new windows installed in my home. I ordered from a small family owned shop that's been around for almost a century and has done dozens of homes in my community for generations. I opted for the company's top-tier double pane windows with a U value of 0.25, which is what my contract states. When the windows were being installed, I noticed that the label indicated a 0.28 U value (all other values the same), and marked as the manufacturer's standard-tier glass.

Originally, the window manufacturer stated they ordered the wrong glass from Cardinal, but now they're saying the order was correct and was just labeled wrong.

The windows overall are quality and it seems like a quality installation. Except for my initial deposit, the installation company hasn't asked me for any money yet until this issue is settled.

Has anyone run into this? Should I believe the manufacturer that the they were simply mislabeled? How can I verify what I actually have? Should I withhold payment until it can be verified?

Thanks!

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: New windows - wrong glass

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Cardinal typically laser etches glass info into the lower corner of the glass if it's a cardinal IGU. It may provide you with the information you're looking for. It's unlikely the labels were printed wrong. Ask to see the purchase order from Cardinal? Not sure if the manufacturer will comply but worth a shot

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Not likely that the labels are wrong. They should be able to provide some sort of proof/documentation if they maintain the position that they are.

electric451

#4 Post by electric451 »

Thanks for the feedback. What kind of proof should I request?

I was sent something by the manufacturer that looks like a purchase order with a description line that says "3.0 A E366/15.8 FED/3.0 A EI89". I can't make sense of that though, as nothing in there looks like what was on my contract.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Can you tell what the glass specifies on the contract? Most manufacturers will give glass packages names instead of the technical code you are seeing on that purchase order. I don't know what some of it means but it looks like you got double pane 3mm glass w/Cardinals 366 Low-E which with i89. That is likely an upgrade over standard glass with most manufacturers and should have a U-value in the range you were expecting @.25