Which of these three windows to choose?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
brilliantatbreakfast

Which of these three windows to choose?

#1 Post by brilliantatbreakfast »

I am talking with three well-reviewed companies in my area of central North Carolina about replacement windows for my 1980-built home. Would like some professional opinions about the following, which are being presented to me:

Pella 250
Okna 600 eco pro
Vytex Potomac

Pella guy has been here already; quote is around $41K for 19 windows plus 4 exterior doors. He measured, but very quickly, says they measure to 1/8"

Vytex guy had me in the showroom for 3 hours including meeting the owner of the company. I did not much care for the screen options but the Potomac seems to get some good reviews. It's a one-owner company of about 20 years in existence.

Okna guy is coming tomorrow. I'd just like some feedback on the windows themselves since I only want to do this once. I estimate to be in the house for 10-12 years more and I am an old lady.

Thank you!

toddinmn

Re: Which of these three windows to choose?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The Okna or Vytex depending on details and price.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with HomeSealed. The Pella should be ruled out.

brilliantatbreakfast

#4 Post by brilliantatbreakfast »

What is the problem with the Pella 250? What about the Vytex or the Okna is better?

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The Pella 250 is lower in performance
Such as U-value, DP ratings , air infiltration, I believe it has a pocket sill, which is not desirable. This is a window available to anyone and a dealer focused on quality Would not choose this as there go to quality product. This product would not break the top twenty in vinyl window options IMO. The only thing it has is large name brand backing it up. This is like going to McDonald’s to get a burger. Look at the products first hand.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The sill on the Pella is a poor design. I don't care for the cheaper looking locks and tilts on that platform as well. The other two options are two of the best out there, you will love either one.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

In order of top product to bottom product:

Okna 600
Vytex Potomac

Pella 250

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna 600 or Vytex HP Potomac
Did you not like the flex screen on the Vytex? You can option for a half screen which is a more traditional screen frame.
theWindowNerd

brilliantatbreakfast

#9 Post by brilliantatbreakfast »

Upon further thought I'm not sure that the Flex screen has to be removed from the outside matters. When windows have to be cleaned from the outside (as with my original current windows) it matters that they be able to come out from the inside for those of us who don't do ladders. But with the tilt-in feature, I can just vacuum them. (I live in NC where we get The Pollening every spring.)

brilliantatbreakfast

#10 Post by brilliantatbreakfast »

Having done some more reading and after talking to the three companies, I'm 90% sure which one I'm selecting, and it's the OKNA Eco Pro dealer/installer. The company has been around since the early 1960s and they've done windows for a friend of mine. AND they gave me two other references. (Pella doesn't give references, which is weird.)

I also liked the description of the kerf-cutting they do so that the aluminum wrap isn't just held to the exterior wall with caulk but extends into the slot. The window itself is a bit challenging to open the top sash, but that's not a dealbreaker. I'm doing the windows and four Provia exterior doors (steel) and their price seems fair at around $35K for 19 windows and the 4 doors (I'm counting French doors as one).

The ONE think that I wonder about is that they use the batting-type insulation instead of expanding foam. I'm in an area of clay soil and there is always settling of houses here, with wall cracks and things going out of alignment. I've had to put 10 piers in my crawl space (also not uncommon here) for stabilization.

Can anyone comment on which is better in an area like this and why?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Between the recommendations of a friend and the product...seems pretty much a lock to me.

The upper sash requires a bit of force to overcome the weatherstripping. This is a good thing is this case. Also keeps the upper sash more tightly in the head jamb pocket as one of the complaints with Double Hungs is that they drop the upper sash when you open or close them.

Personally...I prefer foam. It's actually just easier when you have the appropriate tools to install it. Some crews just like the old ways and as long as the window is properly sealed to the interior and exterior, the difference of foam vs. fiberglass is inconsequential. Foam is a bit better, but some folks have had terrible experiences with it and just shy from it.

brilliantatbreakfast

#12 Post by brilliantatbreakfast »

I signed the contract with the Okna 600 Eco Pro installer.

Both the Vytex and Okna installers were very similar in price for the job. Both gave detailed estimates. The guy from Pella gave just a total cost with no details and did not provide a written warranty. So I ruled them out completely.

I'm comfortable with this decision (other than the issue of wrangling cats so they don't escape!).

Thanks to everyone here for your valuable input.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Great choice, smart choice.
Let us know how your install goes.
theWindowNerd