[Vid] Management denies my window has issues. Am I wrong?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ughmanagement

[Vid] Management denies my window has issues. Am I wrong?

#1 Post by ughmanagement »

I'm a renter with a window issue. The right handle broke while the window was open, preventing me from shutting it. The property management took 2 months to fix it. The window was left open and something bent/warped from gravity and it doesn't seem to close properly now.

The left latching handle stops halfway and won't pull the window tight. The initial window repairman they hired advised against forcing it. He also said not to open the window all the way. After this "repair," the window no longer filtered out smoke as well from nearby tenants.

It should be noted that this property manager is awful. It's clear they're downplaying every maintenance request and refuse to acknowledge stuff that needs to be fixed. You can see that it's not level and sinking downward, no?

And here's a video of me showing how the latch isn't catching: https://streamable.com/z1y79a

Anyway, way down the line (recently), they send their regular repairman to check it out. He was either purposefully ignoring it or just misunderstood, but he sprayed WD40 and forcefully shut it. However, the issue isn't getting the handle down. I obviously could've shoved the handle down. It feels like it's misaligned and I'm just pushing 2 opposing ends together and eventually they fly past one another.

PM says he confirmed it functions normally just as it should. I tell her it doesn't. She just had another window repairman come look at it for her. Suffice to say, it was a total farce. He did his best to ignore the latch hitting that resistance at the halfway point. I pointed out how the window itself no longer responds to anything after that point, suggesting the latching mechanism is not aligned with the inside of the window to pull it snug. He didn't have a response or an answer.

Before he left, I was confused because he hadn't even really done/said anything worthwhile. So when abruptly leaving, I said, "Wait, what is your assessment? What are you officially diagnosing this as?" or something. He immediately said, "Karen will tell you" as she said "no" at the same time to prevent me from asking him stuff. That's what is referenced with his "assessment" crap below.

She's lying about all the interactions, but is any of this accurate based on the vid I showed? Like, sure, locks prevent windows from opening, but they should still shut closed properly, right? I know what the window closed like before all this and it certainly wasn't like this.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by ughmanagement on Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: [Vid] Management denies my window has issues. Am I wrong?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a few simple adjustments to the hinge and hardware that can pull that window a bit tighter prior to engaging the latch. In the meantime, I wouldn't keep forcing it as that will only damage the window in question. I would apply a bit of inward closing force by pulling the sash in, in the meantime, until your property manager can get someone to adjust it.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could hire a window service pro.
or
You could move.

ughmanagement

#4 Post by ughmanagement »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:44 am You could hire a window service pro.
or
You could move.
It's not on me to fix it. They are pretending it isn't broken and I'm reaching out for pros to confirm certain things. The shady manager brought in some shill for a farcical "assessment" where they declared it functions totally normal. He obviously wasn't making any sense since it's clearly not functioning at 100%. I was super annoyed like, "Dude, we both know you can see the latch isn't catching."
There are a few simple adjustments to the hinge and hardware that can pull that window a bit tighter prior to engaging the latch. In the meantime, I wouldn't keep forcing it as that will only damage the window in question.
That's what I said to him and her. That's honestly the only time I've forced it past that point because you can feel the resistance. I just needed video. He was actually very forcefully slamming it down quickly. I said, "Is there a reason you're shoving that handle down so aggressively?!" I said I was under the impression it's die casted and fragile. He ignored me entirely.
I would apply a bit of inward closing force by pulling the sash in, in the meantime, until your property manager can get someone to adjust it.
They aren't going to fix the window. They are actively denying anything is different about it. What I outlined in the post was their coordinated effort to just declare the window normally functioning and say "this issue is over." She is lying about the interaction, of course.

A latch is clearly not designed to only pull half the window in, right? There's no way they can convince a judge that this window is 100% functional, right? Like, "he showed you several times that the lock is engaging as it is supposed to do" is not going to go very far when the handle clearly does not pull the window all the way in.

Man, I truly hate these people. I found the guy's Angie's List and he legitimately has a 1-star review that references him not knowing how to repair a sagging window. :lol: I'd laugh if they weren't actively screwing me over.

Sorry for the ranting. If anybody has a good response to her last email I posted, I'd really appreciate hearing it. They aren't going to change course with the lying, but I could use any help. Thanks, guys.

ughmanagement

#5 Post by ughmanagement »

Oh, another quick question: my window frame was busted when the window was originally left open. I asked them to bring a replacement and they didn't. Manager told me she'd need to send repairmen in to take measurements of the window to build a screen :roll: and might need 2 days of access to do so. I'm in a 60-unit complex with all the same windows. Am I out of touch with how window screens work or am I right to be suspicious of their behavior? Like planning to replace it when I leave or something.