Replacement Windows and Vinyl Siding

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
johnny shepherd

Replacement Windows and Vinyl Siding

#1 Post by johnny shepherd »

I apologize for my ignorance but windows and vinyl siding are such an enormous expense, I just want to make sure I get the most for my dollar. I don't know anything about negotiating for windows like I do foor a car, for example. I logged on to this very helpful website (which was the old one) and 24 hours later it was shut down. (Thanks for starting it back up) and thank you all in advance for helping me with your responses.

I have 14 standard windows including 1 standard picture window. The Gorrell 5300 series salesman quoted me a price averaging $428 per window. The Carribean Salesman quoted me a price averaging $539 per window. All are double pane, double hung, grid inside the window.

As far as performance and energy savings, which is the best deal? I live in NC (rural), am I being taken advantage of?

I also want to install vinyl siding, trim only (facial board, gables, soffitt). My house is 2000 square feet. Can anyone give me a price range of what I should expect the installer to quote?

Thank You in advance for your help/any help.

Johnny

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I don't know the Carribean window so I can only give advice on the Gorell. The price of $428 is very reasonable for the 5300 with grids included. You are definitely not being taken advantage of on this bid.
There are too many variables to give you a price on siding without seeing the home. Most siding jobs where everything is covered like the soffit, fascia, window trim, etc. can go for anywhere from $4000 to $20,000 depending on factors such as home size, quality of materials used, difficulty of the job, and how high the work is. Your best bet is to get at least 3 competing estimates for the siding work. Most of all, check out the work of the installers. The world is filled with bad siding installers that are hacks. They can really screw up your home in both it's looks and it's resistance to water if they don't care about their work. Proper procedures need to be followed, and it is up to you to get the companies to spell out in great detail how the work will be performed.