Opinions on Cascade WinPro vs Jeld-Wen Sierra

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ptiemann

Opinions on Cascade WinPro vs Jeld-Wen Sierra

#1 Post by ptiemann »

I got 2 bids on replacing 16 windows + 1 patio door.
I live in California and thought I might not need the Argon filling.

One bid by Home Depot for a basic Jeld-Wen Vinyl, Product line 'Sierra'.
We reviewed the bid yesterday, 1st window was written up in wrong frame color, 2nd window should've been ordered twice but was ordered once only (the total order contained 15 instead of 16 windows), 3rd window was written up with measurements off by one inch. At that point we stopped and the Home Depot guy said he would have to redo it.
Total price with tax was around $9,800 - low-e and no argon filling

Other bid is from mycontractor.com and they push Cascade windows.
The Cascade Winpro has slightly better u-values than the Jeld-wen and uses a rubber (?) spacer instead of aluminum as Jeld-wen. When I asked Home Depot about the aluminum spacer he said it would not cause a seal to break because the aluminum is special or something.
The Cascade bid is $11,499, low-e and with argon filling.

I live right on the coast, it does rarely get over 75 degrees, and in winter rarely under 32. In the last 9 years that I've been here maybe once each.
Maybe I should not be concerned about temperature induced broken seals?

Question:
Someone posted on this forum that Cascade is bottom-end.
The guy from mycontractor.com said Cascade is a little better than Milgard and a LOT better than Jeld-wen. What is true?

The Cascade WinPro has both the inside and outside glass treated (?) to be low-e. Jeld-wen has this 'treatment' only on the inside glass.

Supposedly Jeld-wen windows are all PVC while Cascade has a metal frame inside. Indeed I could bend the Jeldwen frame at home depot a little while nobody watched :-)

ptiemann

No opinions?

#2 Post by ptiemann »

There are no opinions on Cascade Windows?

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

I know of both windows. Even though the Jeld-Wen product is sold on at teh HOme Depot, the are a better window than the cascade, IMO. The Sierra sierries has 16 gauge steel in the sash interlock and the frame interlock. They do not use an aluminum spacer, but an tin plated steel (which is standard for intercept). Two coating of Low-E, one on the inside and one on the out, is a lie. Low-E will always be on the inside only. For your location, argon might not be worth the money on the cascade window, especially if they are filling it in Washington and driving it over the pass with a breather tube in the window that lets the air pressure out.

I do not think you got the best bids, and you for sure had two really bad sales people. What town do you live in and maybe I can recomend to you a couple of good glass people to help you.

Presonal opinion, Cascade is a company who changes quite a bit. Look at past windows and the warranties. See if they stand behind their older products or just change names or owners. Look at other widow lines, Certainteed, Anlin, Amerimax, or Milgard. They are all fairly reputable.

ptiemann

#4 Post by ptiemann »

thank you earwax!

I had already signed a contract to buy Cascade,but I have time until Wednesday to cancel it. I will look for a third possibility.

Interesting also what you said about the argon and driving over the mountains. Sounds like they have questionable ethics.

I live in Santa Cruz County. That is near the San Francisco Bay Area.
Recommendations are very welcome. Thanks again.

Peter

earwax

#5 Post by earwax »

I live in the Central Valley, but I would recommend Abble glass in Santa Clara, or Hayward Lumber in Salinas. They both carry several brands that are very reputable. As for installation, I would look harder at Able glass. They have always done great work for the people I have talked to.

ABLE GLASS CO.
1129 RICHARD AVENUE
SANTA CLARA, CA 95050
Phone: 408-496-9960

sactoca

#6 Post by sactoca »

earwax,

Where are you located in the central valley? Any recommendations on installers/dealers in Sacramento?

We've got about 13 old Viking alum frame SH windows to replace and are actively getting bids now. We haven't seen much vinyl that we've liked and are leaning more toward Marvin Integrity.

Thanks!

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

I have used Gore in the past with good success. They carry many lines and are great installers. Also, look at Burnett and Sons. They are on the North side of Sacramento. They did a lot of work for the State capital a few years back and have been around for almost 140 years. Great showroom as well. I do not think Burnett installs, but they have a list of contractors that they deal with and will definantly send you in the right direction.

GORE WINDOWS & DOORS
10656 Industrial Avenue
ROSEVILLE, CA 95678
Phone: (916) 652-1135

sactoca

#8 Post by sactoca »

Thanks for the suggestions. We've had Burnett & Sons out to measure and we're getting the quotes this weekend. Overall, I've been impressed by their approach. Instead of giving a lump sum bid for a single brand, they break everything out and give you pricing on multiple brands.

DonDroga

Re: No opinions?

#9 Post by DonDroga »

ptiemann wrote:There are no opinions on Cascade Windows?
I'm in an apartment complex that had Vinyl Cascade series windows Argon replace all the wooden windows. The original wooden frames were left in place.

Cascade seem to be bare bones. Personally I don't like vinyl but these seem cheap. The screens pop out easily and the screen frames are flimsy. The windows themselves seem very bare bones.

I didn't pay for them. I'd have reservations about installing vinyl windows in my own home. If I did I'd be looking for a step up from Cascade.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Opinions on Cascade WinPro vs Jeld-Wen Sierra

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Several things work out better if you buy the best in the class. Vinyl windows is denitely one of those things where if you do not buy the best you may end up doing it twice. That does not mean you pay the highest price. I have seen really poorly constructed vinyl windows solid for very high prices. You want an installation company that is sales knowledgable but still basically installation driven. Let me put it this way if you feel the salesman could be saling ice to Alaskans just as easily as window to you then you probably have not found the right company ( install and product) yet.

theWindowNerd