Really off topic, but what do you think of LeafGuard gutters

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
RC

Really off topic, but what do you think of LeafGuard gutters

#1 Post by RC »

Do any of you have experience with LeafGuard gutters? I know this is a bit off topic, but keeping water away from your windows (and your house foundation) is a high priority.

Thanks!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Reverse curve systems work great when it's dry. When it's raining, it's hard to get a leaf NOT to go in the gutter. I gave up on reverse curve products after the first month of handling them and going out to get leaves out of people's gutters. Wasps really love them though. If you love wasp nests, you'll love these type products.
I use Leaffilter or Alcoa LeafRelief for my customers depending on the application. Over 4 years and not one service call or complaint on either.

wayside

#3 Post by wayside »

I used these 4' vinyl pieces with a curve and a slit in them so that the water goes in the slit and everything else slides off.

Got them on the internet for about $5 a piece and installed them myself - slip them under the shingles and hook them onto the gutter.

My whole house cost less then $150 to do.

I have to go up every once in a while and hook a piece back on when it comes a little loose, but I haven't had to clean my gutters in years.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

I just got done cleaning out thousands of those helicopter (maple) tree seeds and handfuls of grit from the asphalt shingles from inside my gutters, because water was never even making it to the downspouts. Approximately what does a good quality gutter cover cost per foot (installed) on an average sized job with average labor costs? I may be interested in something like this myself, if it isn't going to cost me thousands. Cleaning the junk is dirty and slightly dangerous work otherwise.

Window4U (IL)

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

In my area, most high end systems cost between $10-$20 per lineal foot installed.
Please realize that all systems will not keep out all types of debris. This system in the photo looks great until the helicopters start dropping! It had just been installed by a company 2 months earlier. As you can imagine, the people were less than thrilled.
Here are the two brands I decided to sell after trying out many of the others:
http://www.leaffilter.com/
(Check out the "Competitor comparison" page of their website)

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoahomes/Product ... Category=5

I doubt the administrator is going to like us talking about this subject though. After all, this is a window forum!

RC

#6 Post by RC »

which product is shown in the picture?

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

"I doubt the administrator is going to like us talking about this subject though. After all, this is a window forum!"

I for one was glad to see this thread. LeafFilter's™ is a product i did not know about and the information on there website seems not to hide anything about there product. They even come out and say that "LeafFilter's™ body is manufactured from exterior grade PVC that has a service life of 25 years."

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

RC wrote:which product is shown in the picture?
I think it is Waterfall, or if not, a knockoff of it.

researcher wrote: I for one was glad to see this thread. LeafFilter's™ is a product i did not know about and the information on there website seems not to hide anything about there product. They even come out and say that "LeafFilter's™ body is manufactured from exterior grade PVC that has a service life of 25 years."
They are a very upfront company and tell their dealers about any potential issues and where not to sell it upfront. For example, gutters attached to the bottom of mansard style roofs are iffy on catching all the water because of the water bouncing off from the almost vertical pitch of that style roof. That's an example of something most companies would let dealers learn by trial and error.
Installation is involved. It gets attached to a gutter's hidden hangers before the screen is installed. We usually have to add hangers in between all the existing ones for proper support. There are plastic dowels and clips that connect all the pieces together and finally the stainless steel microfilter gets installed seamlessly into the slots and is glued into the extrusion.
The vinyl part of the product is an extrusion of vinyl siding type vinyl but thicker and stiffer. Unlike most home improvement products, it is exposed to direct sunlight, weather and abuse almost continually. I think a 25 year service life is quite good considering what it gets put through. I've found it to be a very good product compared to what else I've seen and used, and even better I've been able to sell it on the lower end of the pricing range compared to it's competition.

wayside

#9 Post by wayside »

Here's the stuff I used on my house:

http://www.gutterguard.com/GutterPages/Product.htm

I installed the vinyl version of this.

Some notes about this product:

- it is possible for the occasional pine needle to fall in. However, I have found that if the quantity of needles is low, they will just wash out.

- the slit is way to small for a leaf to fit through. Occasionally one will fall just right so that the stem will pass through the slit, and it will stick up until the wind blows it out. Very infrequent, though.

- I've never noticed a maple helicopter get stuck in it.

- it can be tricky to hook it on to the front of the gutter. You need strong fingers or a pair of pliers.

- once every few years a piece will work loose and I have to climb up to reattach it. I've looked in the gutters when I do this, and they are spotless.

- As far as I know I've never had wasps or bees nest in my gutters, I think the slits are too small for them to pass through.

- I've gone from having to clean my gutters twice a year to not having to do it once in the last 10 years.

This stuff has really performed well for me, and I am surrounded by oak and maple trees. If you can install it yourself, you are looking at around $1.25/ft, compare that to Window4U's $10-20/foot for the other systems.

I realize not everyone is comfortable climbing up on the ladder to their roof, but it worked for out great for me.

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Installed high end systems are not for everybody, and if you find something for a tenth the price you can install yourself and it works, that's great. Money saved!

Many of my customers are into their 3rd or 4th try at gutter protection and want something nice looking and that works 100%. The Leaffilter can actually be utilized to save water as a backup source for potable water because of the Xela filtration. It also works great for people who's downspouts feed into an underground drainage pipe....no clogs. Nothing gets through at all, not shingle grit or even dust.