Tips on removing sash pulleys?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
1922craftsman

Tips on removing sash pulleys?

#1 Post by 1922craftsman »

Hi there, first time DIY install w/ full replacement insert (cheap HD kind). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the sash pulleys? there don't appear to be any screws (unless they're buried under layers of paint). I'd like to fill the cavity w/ insulation. Other ideas welcome. thx.

tru_blue

Pulleys

#2 Post by tru_blue »

There should be screws, presumably burried under layers of paint as you had guessed. However, it doesn't matter; you're covering the pulleys up anyway with replacement windows so feel free to destroy them as you yank them out. A hammer & chisel or a hammer & screwdriver with a bit of prying will do the trick. Or you can use the hammer & screwdriver to meticulously chip away at the paint layers and unscrew the pulleys. There should also be an access panel at the bottom left & right of the sash opening held in place by screws. When removed the access panel openings allow you to grab and remove the sash weights.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tru_Blue is dead on correct. You may also just hammer the pulleys back into the frame slightly if there is clearance. As he said, doesn't really matter as the new window will cover them completely. I like to remove them whenever I can and a good prybar will do the trick when the screws are completely covered.