Provia vs. Seaway

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
birdog3344

Provia vs. Seaway

#1 Post by birdog3344 »

Hi,
I have 2 quotes for 5 replacement casement windows (and sliding door). One is for Provia windows (and door), the other is for Seaway windows (and Provia door). The second is 1K more.

What is the consensus about which casement windows are better quality: Provia or Seaway?

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Provia vs. Seaway

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The contractor consensus would be that Provia is the better company. Not sure what the specifications or other details are on the products in this comparison so, we need a bit more details.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.

-Which models?
-What is the price? Neither of these are top tier options, you may be able to find a better window for the money
-Where are you located? Some products are regional, we may be able to offer recommendations on product or even install company based on location.

birdog3344

#4 Post by birdog3344 »

Thanks for your replies! Here's a little more info:

1. 5 Provia Endure windows (4 single casements and 1 picture window). + 1 Provia sliding door
TOTAL = **$7500**

2. Install new all white Seaway commander casement windows with double pane clear glass (no grids). Your new Seaway windows have foam filled frames (not hollow like others). They come with a no prorated lifetime manufacturer’s (Seaway) warranty that will include coverage for accidental glass breakage. + 1 Provia sliding door
TOTAL = **$8700**

I do have a 3rd quote for Harvey windows and Anderson door:

5 HARVEY CLASSIC VINYL CASEMENT REPLACEMENT WINDOWS. STANDARD SCREENS AND STANDARD WHITE
HARDWARE. THE UNITS WILL HAVE NO GRIDS IN THE GLASS
1 ANDERSENT PERMASHIELD 6 FOOT SLIDING DOOR MODEL #PS61611. THIS
UNIT WILL BE MADE TO ORDER, BE EQUIPPED WITH STANDARD SCREEN AND WHITE HARDWARE AND WILL HAVE NO GRIDS
BETWEEN THE GLASS.
 REPLACEMENT INCLUDES CAULKING ALL CRACKS AND INSULATING SPACES,
REMOVING EXISTING WINDOWS AND ANY STORMS AND INSTALLING NEW
WINDOWS LEVEL AND PLUMB. CONTRACTOR RESPONSIBLE FOR REMOVING ALL
DEBRIS.
5 Harvey Classic Vinyl Replacement Windows @ $765.00 EA $3,825.00
1 Andersen 6 foot Sliding Door @ $3,775.00 $3,770.00
TOTAL = **$7,595.00**

I am located in a suburb of Boston

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Seaway make a good window. Its “ under the radar” so to speak but its a pretty solid offering with some good performance numbers, its certainly better than harvey.

birdog3344

#6 Post by birdog3344 »

That's good to know. How would you say it compares to Provia?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

To be honest I saw the Seaway once and it was made very well and I actually like it better than the provia window.
That said, I saw Seaways top window offering. Which Seaway window did you see? Do you know which series?
Im assuming you live near Seaway?

birdog3344

#8 Post by birdog3344 »

It's the Seaway commander casement.I live in the Boston area.

rljerome

#9 Post by rljerome »

Hello, this question is for “birdog3344”. I realize this is an older post, so I’m not sure you’ll see it. I’ve been researching new windows myself, and I’m curious… what brand did you choose and how happy are you with it? I’m considering Seaway, but I’ve read mixed reviews. I have no familiarity with this brand, but there’s a company in my area that swears by them.

Any feedback, good, bad, or otherwise would be greatly helpful & appreciated!

Ricknez

#10 Post by Ricknez »

My understanding is that Seaway make a good window. I have seen their upper end line and its very well designed.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Seaway's Encore Elite looks like a nice product. Frame looks similar to the SL Elements.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

You could certainly do worse than either of these options rljerome, the real issue is that these second tier (maybe lower depending who you ask) windows are often sold at a top tier price.

Not sure of your location, but these products are often sold in markets that also have access to top performers like the aforementioned Softlite Elements, Okna's top models, etc.

rljerome

#13 Post by rljerome »

Thank you all for your replies. The real issue for me is that I don’t have a deep understanding of windows. Despite the fact that I’ve been a homeowner for more than two decades I have never had to replace windows in any of the homes I’ve owned. This is an entirely new experience for me and I’m finding it quite daunting. I currently have slider windows and do not care for them at all. For a multitude of reasons. That said, perhaps newer sliders are made of higher quality materials and are easier to clean & maintain. I have nine windows, in various sizes, that need replacing and I’m hoping to keep it at or under 10k. Is that feasible? If so, what type(s) of windows should I be considering in this price range. I plan to start calling local companies for estimates, but it would be great to have “some” knowledge going in. Thanks so much!

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

To determine if newer sliders would resolve the issues that you have with the current units, we need to know what it is that you don't like about them. You mentioned the cleaning aspect, and short of tilt and slide units which are not recommended, that part likely won't be much of an improvement for you.

As far as budget, I think you are definitely in the ballpark of top tier offering at 9 units for $10k provided that there aren't a bunch of options or a complex installation.

rljerome

#15 Post by rljerome »

Thank you, HomeSealed. First & foremost three of the existing windows are quite large (68 x 44) making them extremely difficult to remove for cleaning. The tracks on these things are dirt and debris magnets. I clean them frequently, but they always look dirty to me. They can also be stubborn when trying to open & close. I suspect they are quite old and just at the end of their useful life. They are also extreeemely unattractive. The vinyl has started yellowing a bit and the tracks are popping up, leaking etc etc. I would like something a little easier to work with, a little more attractive and something with good safety features as a majority of them will be on ground floors. So… I guess what I’d like to know is, should I be considering a different style of window, such as a sash. Also, is one style more efficient and longer lasting than another? I think I read somewhere that vinyl sliders were the most cost-efficient, but I’m wondering if that’s true. Thanks again. I know it’s a busy time for everyone and I appreciate your help!