Provia vs. Seaway

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Provia vs. Seaway

#16 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

They're may be a few different options other than sliders such as double hungs or casements. I agree with you sliders are my least favorite of pretty much all the styles for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they are the best option for certain situations such as sizing of your window openings. If your window is much wider than tall sliders may be your only option. We have several situations like this in my market. Based on your window sizes of your three windows you posted you could do several window combos DH/PW/DH or twin DH's but they'll likely help push your project over your budget. I think for 9 windows with at least those 3 being as large as they are $10k might be pretty tough to do for the top tier range windows.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I want to comment on ease of operation on sliders:
Check the rollers.
Lubricate the rollers and the frame where it makes contact with weatherstripping. Most often this has not been done. Use silicone spray.

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

rljerome wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:40 pm Thank you, HomeSealed. First & foremost three of the existing windows are quite large (68 x 44) making them extremely difficult to remove for cleaning. The tracks on these things are dirt and debris magnets. I clean them frequently, but they always look dirty to me. They can also be stubborn when trying to open & close. I suspect they are quite old and just at the end of their useful life. They are also extreeemely unattractive. The vinyl has started yellowing a bit and the tracks are popping up, leaking etc etc. I would like something a little easier to work with, a little more attractive and something with good safety features as a majority of them will be on ground floors. So… I guess what I’d like to know is, should I be considering a different style of window, such as a sash. Also, is one style more efficient and longer lasting than another? I think I read somewhere that vinyl sliders were the most cost-efficient, but I’m wondering if that’s true. Thanks again. I know it’s a busy time for everyone and I appreciate your help!
Good advice from WDC.

In short:

- Sliders will be your most cost effective option-- probably by far based on the fact that dh's or casements would require additional units (ie: a twin dh in place of a slider)

- That said, sliders are generally the least efficient and have the other issues that you are already familiar with. They are relatively durable though, there are fewer items that can fail in comparison to casements in particular.

At the end of the day, a new, high quality slider will be much better than what you have, I just don't want you think that it would solve all issues as some of those are inherent to the design. I'd WOULD pick a high quality slider over "mid-tier" double hungs.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You have several things to think through. Cost, draft, function, visible glass.
Sliders will give you better cost, they will be more drafty, they will not tilt in for cleaning, you will have the most visible glass.
A high performance twin DH or twin casement will cost more and give you less visible glass. The DH will be the easist to clean. By design a twin casement will be the least drafty, give the most venelation and easist to operate.
Good luck balancing the factors for your choice.
theWindowNerd