Okna 500, 800 vs Sunrise Restoration

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lolazoey99

Okna 500, 800 vs Sunrise Restoration

#1 Post by lolazoey99 »

Please help with estimates - 6 windows and a sliding glass door
Okna 500 deluxe; Excellent installer; $8200; U-factor 0.25
Okna 800; Good installer; $8500; U-factor 0.26
Sunrise Restoration Omega glass; Excellent installer; $6800; U-factor 0.28
I believe they all have a 0.02 Air Infiltration?

1. Which is the best option?

2.The Sunrise Restorations are supposed to be really good, but the U-factor is only 0.28. Why are they considered so good even though most mid level windows have similar or better U-factors? There is an option to add interior low-E gas which takes the U-factor to 0.24

3. Is U-factor the most important thing?

4. Do I need interior low-E gas?

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500, 800 vs Sunrise Restoration

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise is an 0.04 or 0.05. Still good, not as good as the Okna 500 at a 0.02 or the Okna 800 at a 0.01.

Where is the home? I don't care for surface 4 Low-e (i.e. interior home) in colder climates.

Sunrise is a great window and that number is tough to beat. What kind of window is being removed and what is the exterior facade?

lolazoey99

#3 Post by lolazoey99 »

House is in southern New Jersey. The windows are double hung

Why is Sunrise restoration considered a great window if their U-factor and Air Infiltration are not lower than most competitors?

You don't recommend the interior low-E gas even though it lowers the U-factor from 0.28 to 0.24?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely wouldn't put surface 4 in the NE.

It's a great window in the family of vinyl products because its performance data, even if not quite as good as the Okna equivalents, is still head and shoulders above the majority of vinyl products. It also is quite slim in its lines and is a pretty product.

Personally...I like the Okna better because I am a bit of a data nerd, but you couldn't go wrong with either.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good info above.

On the Okna options, I'd drop the 500 given the small price jump to the 800 which is much better.

On the Sunrise option, as WoW stated, you don't want that surface 4 coating most times when you are in a region that is considered cold. While its nice that it lowers the U value substantially, it does so at the expense of keeping the glass unit itself colder and thereby reducing condensation resistance measurably.

Regarding the numbers overall, as WoW alluded to, the Restorations do have better numbers than most. An air infiltration rating at .04 is still much better than average which is probably in teens for vinyl windows, and .2+ on many wood windows. Good DP rating as well. The U factor is admittedly lagging slightly on this window compared to the other top performers like Okna and Softlite Elements. The surface 4 option is a nice solution to that in more moderate/warmer climates, but again, can be problematic in colder areas. If you want a better U value from that window triple pane would be a better solution, otherwise you have an outstanding choice in the Okna line as well.

lolazoey99

#6 Post by lolazoey99 »

Thanks for all the great information. I read through other questions about Sunrise Restorations and saw a few mentions of sagging on tall double hung windows. Is there a sagging problem with 74 inch high windows? What sags and what do I make sure the installer does to avoid this?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Why ask the question. Why not avoid the issue.
800 Dx and 8800 Elegante are the best chooses.
Why not reach out to DEMike, he does S Jersey and is one of the best mechanics I know.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tall and and wide windows from Sunrise do scare me a bit. Definitely if you aren't getting the Restorations with the reinforcement.

In that case, as WindowNerd said, get the 800 series. Too many feedback points about the Sunrise showing some bow and print through on the sills with irregular sills.

WindowsDirectCinci

#9 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

BTW Sunrise has a .02 air infiltration rating and is an excellent window. In the southern Ohio area we have no issues with the surface 4 low e. I don't have Okna in my market so I can't comment on them other than they are well regarded. Y0u have some great options and don't think you could go wrong but at the price of the Restorations that seems like a no brainer to me

uncle eddie

#10 Post by uncle eddie »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:36 pm BTW Sunrise has a .02 air infiltration rating and is an excellent window. In the southern Ohio area we have no issues with the surface 4 low e. I don't have Okna in my market so I can't comment on them other than they are well regarded. Y0u have some great options and don't think you could go wrong but at the price of the Restorations that seems like a no brainer to me
They may have a test for .02, but the standard size is .04. Little play out of Marvins playbook there in my opinon. No matter though, still a good window. Not sure OP can go wrong really.