Casement Quotes/Advice - *Follow-Up After Install*

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheWindowNerd

Re: Casement Quotes/Advice

#16 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you could get Beeson to do the 700DX as a full tear that would be the winner.

theWindowNerd

apmech46166

#17 Post by apmech46166 »

Thanks everyone! I've asked Beeson if they'll coordinate with myself and Mr. Window to install the Okna 700DX if Mr. Window orders them. While I'm waiting on that answer, and as an alternative solution, Beeson quoted me $23,900 for the Marvin Essential fiberglass casement. This price is minus two 24" arch windows that sit on top of two of my casements. Since Marvin can't do those in fiberglass due to size, Beeson has stated they are not comfortable mixing materials for those two units. (fiberglass casement/wood clad arch) Beeson does deal in Alside products and I've inquired with them about putting the Alside vinyl casement in those two openings with Alside vinyl arches above them. None of this was quoted as a true FF tear out after further questioning.

What do y'all think about the Marvin and Alside mixed approach?

apmech46166

#18 Post by apmech46166 »

Sorry,... to clarify my above question...I'm considering having Beeson Construction install the Marvin Essential everywhere except the two openings that have the 24" arch windows above them. In those two openings Beeson would install the Alside vinyl casement with Alside vinyl arches above and I would like to hear what y'all think about that solution. So, I would have about 20 Marvin fiberglass casements and 2 Alside vinyl casements. Thanks.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Asking one dealer to install the window offered by another dealer is a truly awful idea. There will be finger pointing galore if/when issues arise.

2) I don't know that I would mix and match between vinyl and fiberglass either. The Marvin products are well made, but if you are wanting an air-tight choice, they aren't great in that regard. Casements are better than double hungs so that does mitigate it to some degree. The Essentials is very slim lined, there will be noticeably more frame material on the Alside vinyl unit.

apmech46166

#20 Post by apmech46166 »

Thanks for the straight-forward honest feedback Homesealed, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to re-group and get back with you guys. I appreciate y'all very much.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with HS on the mixed product approach.

I don't understand the hesitance to use the clad wood curved unit. Is it a qtr rnd?

The Essential quote, is that full frame or insert?

apmech46166

#22 Post by apmech46166 »

The Essential quote was not a full year out quote. I believe the full tear out was gonna be 2k to 3k more. I'm going to try to attach a pic of the arch unit so you can determine if you consider it quarter round. I will suggest the wood clad mix specifically and see what the installer thinks.

I am leaning toward this installer, plus they can knock out some other cedar window trim and siding issues I have while they're at it. So, if I go with them and it's best to choose between the Alside triple pane casement throughout the home
IMG_20210926_193856812.jpg
or the Marvin Essential throughout, what's the best pick?
Attachments
IMG_20210926_193846193.jpg

TheWindowNerd

#23 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is a half round. Small, cute, and expensive.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

If you are doing full frames and you don't love the half round style, it would be very easy to convert those to squared off units for an updated look. This would likely solve the issue of the size availability as well.

apmech46166

#25 Post by apmech46166 »

Here I am back again. I've mostly decided on the contractor I want to use for the install. I've been trying to pin down details on the install and those "extra" prices for the windows they will install for me. The contractor doesn't want to mix and match Alside casements and Marvin fiberglass in the house, so that option is out. The contractor also doesn't want to purchase Okna's from the local dealer and install those. The contractor doesn't do brickwork, so that makes squaring up the small half rounds to accommodate Marvin fiberglass a "no" for me. It looks like my only options with this contractor are:
1) Alside triple pane casements with a full tear out for $25,995, or...
2) Pella Impervia casements for $32,993 (I asked for full tear out quotes on the Alside with sill pans and flashing under the pan and up the jambs so I hope that is included in this Pella number as well. The quote is not 100% clear to me if this number includes that or not, but I know their FF price is right at 2,000 higher compared to an insert install. So, worst case on the Pella should be $34,993. Yet more questions to ask to clarify the gray area. I hope I don't run them off with all my questions. It seems like I irritate some contractors with wanting to nail down details. I don't think that should be a problem, should it?)

Is the Pella Impervia worth 7 to 9k more than the Alside triple pane casement? Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much for being here to advise

apmech46166

#26 Post by apmech46166 »

Hi folks, just wanted to bump this one since it has been over a week. I know y'all are busy and I appreciate your help. Thought maybe this last question slipped through the web cracks. I confirmed that the Pella Impervia quote was for FF tear out. So, is the Pella Impervia casement worth 7k more than the Alside triple pane casement, with all other things with the install being considered the same? I feel like it is, I'd just like to confirm with a pro and make sure I'm not making a $33k mistake.

Thanks again for all you do to help us

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are those really your only two options?

apmech46166

#28 Post by apmech46166 »

I'm pretty exhausted with the research and vetting process for the casements honestly, and I know that's a bad excuse. I know I exhausted my wife long ago, lol. I thought I was gonna be good with the Marvin Essential from the # 5) contractor below, but my small half rounds took that off the table. While I was first in this research mode with no clue as to anything, I entertained the list below:
1)Apex Insignia 30k
2) an independent local contractor that also installs Alside 33k
3) the local Okna and Sunrise dealer that seems to have the area market cornered and didn't really want my business - 22k for an insert install - subpar install practices IMO
4) Pella direct for a wood clad before I knew I didn't want wood clad. 38k
5) a local contractor with a 5year labor warranty is where I'm at now with the option of Impervia or Alside triple pane Casement. 33k & 26k respectively

6) I also had one company come out and take measurements that never called back with an estimate after several follow ups on my part.

7) "Window Makeover" wouldn't come to my location
8) "Castle Windows" didn't show up for the in-home consult

9) Vytex seems to be installed by Window Nation locally and I've been warned against them.

I don't know where else to go to get a quality window from a reputable installer. I did get a name for a Gerkin rep locally after calling their headquarters but I haven't pursued that yet.

Thanks for the help

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:20 pm Are those really your only two options?
I'd echo that thought. IMO you aren't getting a response as there is not an answer that any of us are comfortable offering outside of "look for other windows", which has already been said.

With regard to the Okna and Sunrise dealers, have you had the chance to look at any of their work? It may very well be a case where the install practices are not subpar, its simply that the person that you are speaking to has subpar communication. I'd also reiterate a comment that I made earlier(I think), which is that good installers like working with good products. If a company's top two options are Alside and Impervia, I'd personally disqualify them then and there without regard to how the installation sounds.

To answer your question more specifically, no, IMO the Impervia is not worth $7k more than the Alside, however I wouldn't recommend either one.

I apologize if this was already mentioned earlier, but do you have any dealers of Softlite Elements or Imperial Elite, or the better models of Polaris in in your area?

apmech46166

#30 Post by apmech46166 »

Thanks WOW & HS! I found a construction company in my area that deals in Polaris based on your info. The company has a small amount of reviews but they are all very good. It looks like they offer the UltraWeld, ThermalWeld Plus, and the DynaWeld. Can you school me on the differences in this group and/or make a recommendation based off of these Polaris offerings?

Thanks