Replacement windows in IL

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dianar33

Re: Replacement windows in IL

#16 Post by dianar33 »

I'm replacing several double hungs (12) and (9) casement. (What I thought was one casement window w/3 panes is 3 windows in the windows replacement world _ I'm learning a lot!) They are old single pane wood windows and in remarkably great shape for their age. The casements are the ones with issues and I thought would be nice to do them all. The VT is lowest on the Okna (.47) and wondering how that will feel once done - especially since there is no tinting to the windows now. The Okna & Marvin quotes have the casements being replaced w/sliders. Their reasoning is that the composite materials will be strong enough to do this and said it is a cheaper option. The Okna salesman said the casements weren't an option.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why aren't casements an option?

Sliders will invariably leak more air and Illinois isn't a warm state.

With regards to the reduction in light, double pane glass with low-e is going to cost you about 10-12% on the Visible Transmittance when you compared double pane clear glass...to double pane with Low-e.

dianar33

#18 Post by dianar33 »

I can only guess though have heard similar thoughts on sliders so plan to avoid them. I'm wondering why the Advanced Windows are not considered a decent option.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Almost all sliders have pocket type sill with weeps to allow water in the bottom track to escape, they also allow air in.
Okna does not like to make large casements.
Sunrise does make casements and seems to have good engineering to manage sizing.

theWindowNerd

Cokomo

#20 Post by Cokomo »

What is considered large to Okna?

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the operator type. They can make some huge 3-Lite sliders.

Their mins and maxs are not out of phase with other vinyl suppliers. Pretty consistent.

RobinBird

#22 Post by RobinBird »

dianar33: May ask who in Illinois did you contact for the quote re okna 7500s? I was hoping to get quotes on these and the 800s from homesealed, but they cannot service Illinois per its deal with okna. Thanks!

sadman176

#23 Post by sadman176 »

I thoughts Plygem and Jeldwen are good. The key to a successful window blind installation is precise measurement. Home is our emotional part, and everyone after home does their job. I will make it home when I do business. I would like to spend more and get something better than plygem.