just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dallasite2

just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window.

#1 Post by dallasite2 »

good morning,

i have a new home with contractor grade double pane widnows, not good at keeping noise like traffic out. I would like to see about just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window. i'm looking for offset or laminate glass optons for noise reduction. i live in the dfw area. Is this a viable option instead of having all these windows ripped out to install new windows? thanks

toddinmn

Re: just replacing the window glass instead of the entire window.

#2 Post by toddinmn »

It will depend if the window designed for the extra weight .

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yep. Offset glazing probably won't create a balance issue, but laminated will certainly require new balances at a minimum as well as confirming that the frame can accommodate that new load.

What kind of window and brand?

You need to start with the supplier/manufacturer of the windows.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
Was the home just built?

Replacing the glass is not going to be cheap, especially with an upgraded unit. Not only is there the potential issue of weight, but thickness of the IGU as well which may require new glazing bead or entire sash replacement. At the end of the day you will likely replace 85% of the window, but still have a "contractor grade" window.

If the home is at least some years old (depending on what you meant by "new"), you may want to consider replacing the windows entirely. OTOH if it is truly brand new, that would be awfully hard to swallow -- although that glass upgrade will be as well.

In either case you could consider addressing only specific rooms, such as your bedroom, or wherever the sound is problematic. Unless you are near an airport or train track or something along those lines, most folks that opt for specialty glass for sound attenuation do so strategically by room due to cost.

dallasite2

#5 Post by dallasite2 »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:51 am It will depend if the window designed for the extra weight .
thanks for the reply. thats a good point, did not even consider that. i'm also wondering if it is worth the extra money for laminated glass instead of offset for noise reduction. I've read that you don't gain that much extra noise reduction in laminated glass to warrant the increase in cost, especially considering that some windows are on a wall that is not brick, but just studs, cardboard "baricade" sheathing, and hardie board. does that sound right?

dallasite2

#6 Post by dallasite2 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:00 pm Yep. Offset glazing probably won't create a balance issue, but laminated will certainly require new balances at a minimum as well as confirming that the frame can accommodate that new load.

What kind of window and brand?

You need to start with the supplier/manufacturer of the windows.
these are ply gem windows. I did not realize the weight issue so I appreciate the feedback.
i've attached a picture of the window when it still had the sticker on it
Attachments
window.png
window.png (769.51 KiB) Viewed 6483 times

dallasite2

#7 Post by dallasite2 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm +1.
Was the home just built?

Replacing the glass is not going to be cheap, especially with an upgraded unit. Not only is there the potential issue of weight, but thickness of the IGU as well which may require new glazing bead or entire sash replacement. At the end of the day you will likely replace 85% of the window, but still have a "contractor grade" window.

If the home is at least some years old (depending on what you meant by "new"), you may want to consider replacing the windows entirely. OTOH if it is truly brand new, that would be awfully hard to swallow -- although that glass upgrade will be as well.

In either case you could consider addressing only specific rooms, such as your bedroom, or wherever the sound is problematic. Unless you are near an airport or train track or something along those lines, most folks that opt for specialty glass for sound attenuation do so strategically by room due to cost.
thanks, I appreciate the reply. the home was built in 2020. I have been getting bids to replace the windows, and I was just going to start with the 2 master bedroom windows to see if I get the desired sound reduction before I go replacing everything. do you know what I can expect to pay for an offset glass replacement windows or a laminated glass replacement window?

dallasite2

#8 Post by dallasite2 »

dallasite2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:38 pm
HomeSealed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm +1.
Was the home just built?

thanks, I appreciate the reply. the home was built in 2020. I have been getting bids to replace the windows, and I was just going to start with the 2 master bedroom windows to see if I get the desired sound reduction before I go replacing everything. do you know what I can expect to pay for an offset glass replacement windows or a laminated glass replacement window?
I also did not anticipate the noise from the interstate hwy which is 1/4 mile away. sometimes its very quite, other times the noise of that highway is very bothersome. you would think 1/4 mile away would be enough especially considering what is in between my home and the hwy (large grove of trees, a large apartment complex, a heavily wooded creek with tall trees). I have learned, after the fact, (https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna43154773) that the weather can carry that noise farther than you think.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

That's tough being so new... also alarming that there appears to be no low-e at all (sticker says : Lowe-e- NA).

On pricing, that will vary wildly based on options, location (regionally), etc., so its really hard to say. There is a contributing Pro named Randy that serves some areas of TX, he may be able to provide more specific insight.

dallasite2

#10 Post by dallasite2 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:49 pm That's tough being so new... also alarming that there appears to be no low-e at all (sticker says : Lowe-e- NA).

On pricing, that will vary wildly based on options, location (regionally), etc., so its really hard to say. There is a contributing Pro named Randy that serves some areas of TX, he may be able to provide more specific insight.
yes it is tough being so new. I wish I would have thought more about before it was built. :roll:

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

PlyGem builder grade windows are not very airtight, so I too would suggest replacing the entire window with one that has an AL rating below .05. Replacing a couple of bedroom windows first to hear the difference is wise, just prepare pay a little more for such a small job. I would use laminated glass rather than offset/dissimilar. While these glass packages may improve the noise abatement, you’ll be left wondering how much better it could have been with laminated.

Lastly, make sure the installation is done in a manner that minimizes air infiltration around the windows, and that will most likely require the use of expanding foam around the perimeter; caulk alone won’t provide what you’re looking for.

dallasite2

#12 Post by dallasite2 »

Randy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:54 pm PlyGem builder grade windows are not very airtight, so I too would suggest replacing the entire window with one that has an AL rating below .05. Replacing a couple of bedroom windows first to hear the difference is wise, just prepare pay a little more for such a small job. I would use laminated glass rather than offset/dissimilar. While these glass packages may improve the noise abatement, you’ll be left wondering how much better it could have been with laminated.

Lastly, make sure the installation is done in a manner that minimizes air infiltration around the windows, and that will most likely require the use of expanding foam around the perimeter; caulk alone won’t provide what you’re looking for.
randy, I really appreciate that feedback. I had been going back and forth over offset vs laminate and that is one thing that kinda haunted me...if I went with offset, I'd never know how much better it could have been with laminate. with that said, I was reading other forum discussions on offset vs laminate, and someone mentioned that there was some emperical data that offset glass handled road noise (low frequency) better than laminate. the point you made about air infiltration and expanding foam will be a requirement with whoever I get to do the job. just need to find someone in the dfw area that is experience. there are SO many companies that do this work, there's alot to sift through weeding out the ones who don't know what they are doing.

Randy

#13 Post by Randy »

There certainly are a lot of window companies these days, and few who are truly interested in serving their customers to the best of their ability. Best thing to do is take your time and don’t let a contractor rush you into a decision by using discounts for immediate purchase or fear of price increases. Better to pay a little more for waiting a bit than to pay less and not be satisfied with the end result.

I’d be interested in seeing the data on the offset glass being superior in some cases, since all I have is anecdotal evidence.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:49 pm That's tough being so new... also alarming that there appears to be no low-e at all (sticker says : Lowe-e- NA).

Hard to believe...right? I also see LE 5527 lower. I wonder if its a Guardian 5527 as well.

dallasite2

#15 Post by dallasite2 »

Randy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 am There certainly are a lot of window companies these days, and few who are truly interested in serving their customers to the best of their ability. Best thing to do is take your time and don’t let a contractor rush you into a decision by using discounts for immediate purchase or fear of price increases. Better to pay a little more for waiting a bit than to pay less and not be satisfied with the end result.

I’d be interested in seeing the data on the offset glass being superior in some cases, since all I have is anecdotal evidence.
randy, thank you, I agree. There are ALOT of window companies. I've had about 4 different ones out to my house already. I have a brick home except for the back of the house which is hardiboard. the one guy said if the new window sticks out too much they would just install the windows OVER the existing window sill and drywall instead of cutting back the drywall if needed "Too much work" he says. that was a red flag to me, am I wrong? Seems like they want to do what is fast and convenient for THEM. Another guy just "forgot" that I wanted windows specifically for noise when he showed up. said he would send a quote. never heard from him again. One guy said new construction windows are very hard to get out. is this true? The 3rd guys quote was VERY high or just 2 windows and he kept texting me "we have a mfg special but you have 2 days to decide". I don't mind paying more for the right window, and for a truly qualified person to install them.

Question, I got a quote on a NT window presidential window, which I like, had them on my previous home. It has laminated glass with normal thickness of .030. He also said, they have a thicker Laminated glass . .090 ( 3 times thicker ) for 200.00 more. My question is.... is it worth the upgrade for thicker laminated glass? Also, another window company suggested getting getting the vinyl frame of the NT presidential window foam filled for added noise reduction. Not sure of the cost on that yet, waiting for the quote. would it be worth the extra money to get foam filled frames? would it really make a difference? thanks again for your feedback. it is very much appreciated!