Polaris Weep Hole Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
corwinswan

Polaris Weep Hole Question

#1 Post by corwinswan »

Had Thermalweld Plus windows installed last year. While removing flooring we discovered one window was leaking. The weep hole appeared to be factory sealed shut so I pushed on the seal, knocked it loose and water came out? Is this right? I took a picture of the other side which also appears sealed. Is it supposed to be that way or is removing what I believe uis a seal correct? This window is a slider if it matters.
Attachments
20220215_175113.jpg

Windows on Washington

Re: Polaris Weep Hole Question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where was the window leaking? What type of operator? Can we get pictures from further back on both sides (inside and outside)?

corwinswan

#3 Post by corwinswan »

You can see in the picture where it was leaking, basically in the wall. I don't have a pic from the exterior as it is on the 2nd floor, but I can get one later. The unit features a slider at each endcwith a fixed window in the middle.
Attachments
20220212_141820.jpg
20759 (1).jpeg

corwinswan

#4 Post by corwinswan »

Delete

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The design of the weep hole/ cover seems to be lacking. It seems to want bind in the opening . The bottom of the window should be water tight with the exception of the weep hole, so if both were were completely stuck shut or plugged water shouldn’t fill the trough of the window and over flow before leaking to the interior.

corwinswan

#6 Post by corwinswan »

So the picture of the weep hole above is from another window. I'm attaching a picture of the weep hole after I removed the insert or whatever from the weep hole on the leaking window. I'm just trying to figure out what the intent is from Polaris. Do I need to go around to all the weep holes and open them up as seen in this post? Note the picture below is upside down.
Attachments
20220217_115643.jpg

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

The weep hole/ cover seems to be a poor design. It seems easily jamb and not operate smoothly. I’ll have to take a closer look when I get more time. There other 2 lines use a different cover. The window should trough should be water tight with the exception of the weep holes and overflowing out the top of the bottom extrusion.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Regardless of the cover design, that isn't going to make the window leak. I suggest you water test the window and confirm if the window is the actual issue of if the issue is the home or trim issue.

corwinswan

#9 Post by corwinswan »

Can you link to something that shows how to do a proper water test. Thank you, much appreciated.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t recommend a water test in freezing temps.
I would start with moderate blast and not a jet stream over the exterior , around the trim and the window itself about 10’ away. The window should drain the water out. If you notice water coming in take note, it helps to have someone inside to pinpoint the source vs where the water eventually comes out. A lot of times water comes in at the top and appears to be leaking lower.If you find it leaking at the top your gonna have to start eliminating all joints with tape. This include window to J channel and casing . It Al also includes all mulled joint. I’d contact your installer first. I’d also give some pics on the exterior since I have never had to go into a water test personally. I’d focus on the arched window and the joint between that and the slider below. Tape off all joints between the two and see what happens. If nothing I’d unseal those joints then see what happens. If you were my customer I’d just prefer you call me before you go down this road. Last thing any of us this board wants is a customer that feels a need to come to a forum on a job they did,.First I’d be embarrassed and Secondly I’d be a little hurt if they didn’t come to me first.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Agreed with Todd for the short term on the temps. Can we see a picture of the exterior for the short term. There may be something more glaringly obvious with regards to a source path.

Big half rounds and roof to wall intersections are usually big red flags.

corwinswan

#12 Post by corwinswan »

I'll try to get a good exterior picture and post back.

In terms of the installer, he refused to come out and says the spot was caused by a cat peeing on my floor. He wants me to pay for a vet to come out with a blacklight. No I'm not kidding.

I'll have to take care of the problem myself and probably end up paying a 3rd party for repairs if needed.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Urine...especially cat urine, would be easily identifiable.

These are cheap if you want to show him that it isn't cat pee.

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Vansk ... 01A5KLUG2/

corwinswan

#14 Post by corwinswan »

Thanks for the idea, but I've decided to move on from this guy. Any costs incurred I'll attempt to recoup in small claims court. The guy is a jerk and not reliable, I don't want him near my home again.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

How about the pictures of the exterior so that we can get you pointed in the right direction.