Polaris Weep Hole Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
corwinswan

Re: Polaris Weep Hole Question

#16 Post by corwinswan »

This is about the best I can do with it being a 2nd story window.
Attachments
20220220_170114.jpg

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

Was the window set new construction?

Either way, the area where the half round J-channel meets the side J-channel needs to be looked at as well as the fact that there is no caulk between the window frame and the J-channel.

corwinswan

#18 Post by corwinswan »

No, these were replacement windows in that the windows had a nailing fin and the siding was removed to install.

I already caulked the area where the half round J-channel meets the side J-channel. It seemed suspect to me too. I'll also caulk between the window and j-channel. We've had weather in the last few days (northern illinois) and today it was 50 and melted, so far it is staying dry.

On a side note, the weeping hole I shared a picture of is only found on the glider/sliding windows, not the double hung.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

Highly unlikely that the weep holes are the issue. The covers are there to keep bugs out and have nothing to do with the functionality of the weep systems.

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Caulk the J channel to the window. Caulk the back of the joint where the curved J meet the vertical.

TheWindowNerd

corwinswan

#21 Post by corwinswan »

Thanks for the advice, looks like I need to borrow a ladder.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Just to reaffirm what was mentioned above, the weep holes look "blocked" as that is a flap designed to keep out bugs and airflow. Don't bust those off or get them stuck open. I agree with the other pros that this isn't likely your issue, UNLESS there is screw placed too low or something else that would create an entry point for the water if its pooling due to a stuck weep cover.

2) I'm not a fan of caulking the window to the j channel. You stated that this window was installed with nail fins (that would be considered "new construction" or "full frame" as opposed to "replacement"), that area should not need caulk and could even prevent moisture from behind the siding from escaping. More importantly, if there is a defect in the sealing of the nail fin, that would only mask it. I'm not adamantly opposed to it if all else is correct, but it is simply not fixing the core issue.

3) Can you speak more about your observations of the leaking and the contractor's "diagnosis"?
-Did you witness any water coming in, or just notice the wet spot on the floor? Any other areas where moisture or moisture damage/evidence is seen?
-How often has this occurred and is it still occurring?
-Did the window sill trough ever fill with water?
-Did the contractor ever visit to inspect, or did he just offer the cat urine diagnosis site unseen?
-Is this an established, reputable company that you hired?

Lastly, its hard to tell for sure, but from your exterior picture it looks like there is "wave" in the siding to the upper left, and possibly a piece directly over the window that isn't locked (unsecured). If they removed the siding to complete this install, that should be addressed as well (assuming that its not just an optical illusion).

corwinswan

#23 Post by corwinswan »

So the floor was wet, so I cut out drywall and the framing was damp as well. We were easily able to dry it out completely overnight running a dehumidifier.

This is the only time we know of as we were removing the carpet to install LVT. I have never noticed water in the trough but it's a bedroom so the shades are usually closed. That said it's been raining nonstop since last night and it has remained dry ( the drywall I cut out hasn't been put back yet).

Is it possible, at all, that the recent freeze/ thaw cycles we have been experiencing cause the problem somehow?

Company has been in business 25 plus years and offered a 5 year warrenty on the labor. Things went south after the salesman was let go. We signed the contract in June 2020 and they didn't place the order till August. By then with all the lost time covid cause delays and windows were installed around Thanksgiving. I gave them the chance to come clean that they didn't order them and to refund my money but they just wouldn't own up to it. (Polaris confirmed they were ordered mid August after I gave them the chace to refund my deposit and move on). Just awful people to work with. The owner didn't even offer to come out and inspect my problem. He was dead set on proving it was cat urine so I could apologize to him. Yes that is what he said. If anyone is interested in who it is let me know, I'll post the website.

And yes, that is not how the siding looks, I just went bout to double check. Good eye though, I would of never noticed that.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

Can you post a pic of the inside of the wall with regard to any staining, etc?

So you only noticed the wet floor on the one occasion and its rained multiple times since? Was that strong storm or anything like that?
corwinswan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:34 pm And yes, that is not how the siding looks, I just went bout to double check. Good eye though, I would of never noticed that.
So are you saying that it does appear to be wavy and with a piece unlocked?

25 years in business but its one guy out of his house, or is this a legit business with employees, accreditations, etc?

corwinswan

#25 Post by corwinswan »

The picture below is right after we discovered the water. The bottom plate and insulation was also wet. I didn't see staining The only reason we noticed it was because we were pulling up the carpet to install LVT otherwise we would of never noticed. At this point I don't recall the weather. We've had alot of melt off and winter mix of rain and snow the kast couple weeks. (I'm in Northern illinois near Rockford).

The siding is not wavy in person.

No it's a legit company, they have an office and yard. They do roofing, siding, windows and bathrooms. Outside coming out to measure the windows and to drop off the trailer full of windows the owner was never seen. I just noticed they no longer advertise being a Polaris window dealer.
Attachments
20220212_131725.jpg

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

With all the back and forth...do we know, for a fact, that the window was set as a new construction application and properly integrated and layered into the flashing and Weather Resistant Barrier (WRB) on the home? Do we know if we have WRB on the home?

Caulking between the window and the J-channel is not required in a properly installed unit that is flashed and tied back into the WRB. That said, if there is not WRB or some type of integrated plywood/WRB (i.e. Zip wall type application), that needs to be caulked. Seen way too many examples of floor leaks with homes that don't have a WRB and the gaps in the "sheathing" (if even appropriate to call it that in some cases) allow water to bypass the wall and collect at a low spot.

uncle eddie

#27 Post by uncle eddie »

open the wall above the dark spot on the subfloor.
Something isn't right here. I'd expect to see signs of water on that bottom plate if it was running down from the window, not just on the subfloor. That's probably why the guy is saying cat pee. On the next warm day you have, go spray the area with the hose and see if you can produce a leak. Dumb question, but nobody asked it yet, what does the stained area and carpet smell like?

corwinswan

#28 Post by corwinswan »

Smelled musty.

We had a ton of rain this week, no leak. I'm baffled. We only caulked the area between the arched j channel and vertical side j channel.

When it gets nicer I'll try to reproduce a leak and check back.

uncle eddie

#29 Post by uncle eddie »

Honestly, if it wasn't for the smell not matching, the cat pee is as good a guess as anything else. Its definitely something repetitive since the wood is damaged like that, that doesn't happen from a spill or one time leak. The lack of evidence of water on and in the wall though cast some doubt on a window leak. Is there anything else that you've had in that area in your home that would have produce moisture in that area? Can you take another picture of that window from farther away outside showing what's above and below?

TheWindowNerd

#30 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not see in the thread that the install method has been verified, whether with or without fin.
Was there, is there gods WRB. Was it taped properly.

The siding at the peak of the arch top does look unhooked, but this is not causing a leak.

Uncle Eddie’s observation about the lack of stain on the sill plate is on point. I would expose more to the R of the existing hole. No need at this point to go higher, so far you do not need to sparkle.

If I found signs of water on the sill plate, studs, or sheet rock, I might pull the two flanking sash out along with the bottom track to see if anyone put a screw down through the sill frame.

TheWindowNerd