Is pricing reasonable? Other recommendations?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dpernicone

Is pricing reasonable? Other recommendations?

#1 Post by dpernicone »

My subdivision (northern Illinois) is re-siding the buildings this year (with LP Smartside), and the siding contractor has offered to replace the windows at the same time (saying that it would likely be the best and least expensive time to do it). I do know that several people are going to go ahead and have the contractor replace their windows too at the time of siding.

The siding contractor has provided the following pricing for Pella 250 Series windows:
2 Window Slider - Approx 70" W x 40" H - $1,298
2 Window Slider - Approx 54" W x 54" H - $1,298
3 Window Slider "set" (2 outer sliders and fixed middle pane) - Approx 97" W x 40" H - $1,502
2 Window Slider - Approx 36" W x 40" H - $1,219
Fixed Window - Approx 40" W x 35" H - $1,139

The pricing for each "frame-out" (not pocket/insert) window includes installation, retape, flash, and spray foam insulation. The pricing does NOT include any additional repair work that may come up at install, so any additional work will be at additional cost.

1. Why would a fixed window be not much cheaper than a 2-window slider?

2. Does the pricing seem reasonable or high (seems high to me), especially considering doing the siding at the same time AND having multiple windows orders/installs too? If pricing does seem high, what would be any suggestions/recommendations for comparable/better window alternatives and/or companies for same/similar (or maybe even cheaper) pricing?

Thank You, in advance, for your time and responses!

Windows on Washington

Re: Is pricing reasonable? Other recommendations?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not a huge fan of the Pella 250 as a high end window, but his install type of comprehensive and nice when integrated with the siding project.

To your one question about the price of a slider vs. picture, picture windows can actually be more expensive because, despite the lack of operation, the larger glass is harder to optimize and get more yield from vs. two smaller sections of glass that add up to the same square footage.

With regards to pricing, based on the installation and comprehensive approach, that is a good price. If he is doing vinyl already, I would ask if he can get a slightly better product.

dpernicone

#3 Post by dpernicone »

Windows on Washington,
Thank You for your response!

Regarding the slider v fixed windows, that makes sense. Thank You for your explanation!

I understand your mentioning about maybe upgrading to a better product... I could get a separate individual quote for an upgraded product, but the Pella 250 Series is what is being offered to the subdivision owners in this particular "group offer", so changing the product would not be an option for this particular "deal".

I guess I was (incorrectly) thinking that the pricing would be even better considering the quantity of windows being ordered and alongside doing the siding too, so I am comforted(!) by your comments about the apparent comprehensive installation that the contractor has outlined, and that the pricing seems reasonable.

I, of course, want to get some more quotes, but all the different window types is inundating and difficult to know what really compares apples-to-apples, so if you have any recommendations for comparable (or slightly better in same price range) windows, I would greatly appreciate it.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The pricing is good for the install and combination of installation he is proposing. I just don't care for that window is all.

That said, in the slider model, the performance gaps are not as evident as the double hungs.