Am I missing something? Quote review

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Looking4info

Am I missing something? Quote review

#1 Post by Looking4info »

Got quotes from different companies and narrowed it down to two

Both okna

1st company says they only deal with the 400 series. 2 windows under a 3 foot half moon. 2000 installed

2nd company quoted 500 deluxe 2900.

I didn't think there was gong to be this large difference between cost of the 500 and 400. Am I missing something?

Windows on Washington

Re: Am I missing something? Quote review

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I doubt that the difference is purely a result of the materials differential. While Okna doesn't make a bad window, the 500 is a superior operator than the 400.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The 500 is the superior option. Better window, fair price, and odds are its offered from a better company as the 400 is price point based offering.

Looking4info

#4 Post by Looking4info »

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Both companies are equally rated on Google (number of reviews and stars).

I would prefer the 500s but with a 45 to 50% price difference. With companies being same should I bit the bullet and pay that for the 500s? Do you think I'd regret the 400s?

Looking4info

#5 Post by Looking4info »

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I would prefer the 500s but with a 45 to 50% price difference. With companies being same should I bit the bullet and pay that for the 500s? Do you think I'd regret the 400s?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Looking4info wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

You say 2 dh under a half moon, does this project include the half moon? If so, you are looking at the pricing backwards. The 500 pricing is not 50% higher as much as the 400 pricing is way too low.

I'd also mention that while important, you should look at other items in conjunction with the google rating and number of reviews. How long in business? What size company? Do they have a location? What is the quantity and quality of reviews on other sites like Angies list, etc.

My last bit of personal opinion here, as an Okna dealer, I don't offer the 400 to make customers by choice.I'd rather see you in an 800 or Starmark, but 500 is my minimum threshold.

Looking4info

#7 Post by Looking4info »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:59 pm
Looking4info wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

You say 2 dh under a half moon, does this project include the half moon? If so, you are looking at the pricing backwards. The 500 pricing is not 50% higher as much as the 400 pricing is way too low.

I'd also mention that while important, you should look at other items in conjunction with the google rating and number of reviews. How long in business? What size company? Do they have a location? What is the quantity and quality of reviews on other sites like Angies list, etc.

My last bit of personal opinion here, as an Okna dealer, I don't offer the 400 to make customers by choice.I'd rather see you in an 800 or Starmark, but 500 is my minimum threshold.
Thanks.

Yes both quotes include the half moon

The cheaper company has been in business 10 years and the other 21. They both have physical locations. Both have a bbb rating of A+ the newer and cheaper has 4 complaints in 3 years while the other has 1.

Got another quote from a bigger company that has been in business over 100 years and they were at 3250.

I'm torn between the 400 because of the price or getting the larger company to beat the 2900 as they state on their website.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The question is with the advice from several pros that have no financial stake is do you want to be complaint #5?
Another way of saying it are you rich enough to afford doing it twice.

Like DEMike our minimum choice is the 600. The 400 would only be for a flip.

You have basically 100% advice to go with the 500 or better.

Enjoy your new windows.
theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

$2900 is a low price for that.
$2000 is a "I'm going out of business I just don't know it yet" (or maybe he does!) type of price. Half rounds aren't cheap.

As WN was alluding to, please know that the awful reputation that this industry has with all of the BBB complaints etc is based mostly on "too good to be true" pricing that resulted in poor or incomplete work. Just food for thought.

Looking4info

#10 Post by Looking4info »

Thanks everyone!

I've taken time to think it over and do research. Maybe I dont understand or I am in fact missing something.

None of the companies I talked with and got quotes (got another in between posting) have talked about full frame vs insert.

I don't want to make an assumption so I will ask in the morning. However could that be a difference in price? Or will they all being doing one way or the other?

Please let me know your professional opinions

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

If builder's grade vinyl is coming out, there is no "insert" option.

Looking4info

#12 Post by Looking4info »

Thanks.

I'm assuming that's why no one mentioned full frame or not because it's only one to do it?

Two other quotes I got were:

Okna 600s 2200
Okna 500s 3200

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

While you may not be able to do a true "insert", there are still multiple ways to install windows in this scenario and they are not all created equal. You may be correct about some different install details being at play here. I'd ask each install company to provide a written description of how they will install these windows so that you can compare accordingly.

Based on the pricing I'd assume that they are all "replacement style" even if not "inserts" per se, meaning that they are probably not using a nail fin, etc.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would take the 600 over the 500 if the installing company is good. Is the $2200 a mistake?