Flashing tape?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bequia

Flashing tape?

#1 Post by Bequia »

To the fabulous professionals.

What's the best Flashing Tape
to use on your windows in the
North East?

Ricknez

Re: Flashing tape?

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Honestly, it doesnt matter what flashing tape you use.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Not sure what’s the best but I use Pella tape on the sides and top and dupont flexseal on the bottom.
There are many good ones out there, I am a fan of 3m products as well. Tape should not be asphalt based.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

DuPont makes about the best and easiest to work with from my experience. Most pros like a flexible tape for the rough sill and up the bottom of the jack studs and sheathing. This stuff will take a little practice to achieve a non-wrinkled 90-degree bend and the corners. DuPont has a general flashing tape in 4", 6" and 9" widths. Most guys will use that stuff in they go with DuPont stuff. However, their straight flash is the ultra premium product and it's quite a step up from their regular peel and stick. A treat to work with, but a lot more money.

I love 3M. Novaflash is good too. Vycore is decent. I don't care for the Pella stuff, and the absolute worse stuff out there is the Protecto-Wrap that we see at Home Depot. I work with this stuff every week and I'm quite fussy about the products I utilize. There are a lot more brands out there, but I see these products and the 5-10 building supply houses and lumberyards that I frequent. Good luck.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

To me, the more important question is what else is being done here. The tape that should be used is the same tape that is part of whatever system, if a system is being used (i.e. WRB, Flexible tape, Straight tape, sill pan, etc.), is being deployed. Outside of that, they all work and you should ONLY be using a Butyl based tape vs. asphalt.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

“It doesn’t matter what flashing tape you use” is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in awhile.

Bequia

#7 Post by Bequia »

Thanks for the info all.
As always I appreciate
All your help.