Replacement window options - Austin, TX

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
golfinz

Replacement window options - Austin, TX

#1 Post by golfinz »

Howdy! Never thought I would be on a window forum, but what a resource this can be!

We are looking at replacing our 'original to the home,' General Alum windows, and are getting quotes. We are are in Austin. Randy at Ultra Windows unfortunately doesn't service our area....yet :)

Below is a list of the windows currently in the house. We intend to stay in the home for 20+ years, so we want to buy something that will not only last, but provide the best performance. The home faces SW, so we get a lot of afternoon sun in the front of the house.

Four 36x84 - see below for separate transom windows
Two small transom windows above two of the four windows listed above: 35x23/20/11
One side light: 14x83 (needs to be tempered because close to front door)
Two 36x12
Two 48x72 (one tempered because close to door)
Three 49x96 (half moon above each)
Two 24x72 (one tempered because close to door)
One 72x108 (half moon above - currently two single hung side by side with one half moon window above)
One 24x35 (in toilet closet - frosted)
One 48x60 (above tub - tempered and frosted)
Two 36x84
One side light: 14x59
Two 35x59
Two sliding 59x47
Two 35x59 - see below for separate transom windows
Two small transom windows above the two listed above: 35x23/20/11

So far, we have received the following quotes. Company listed first followed by the window. Nothing fancy with vinyl colors - all white:
1) Zen Windows: Soft Lite Classic Plus: $35k
2) Texas Window Store: Vista Mark Endura: $28k
3) Texas Window Store: Provia Aspect: $32k
4) Texas Window Store: NT Windows Presidential: $32k
5) Zen Windows: Imperial elite: $48k
6) Energywise: NT Windows Presidential: $30k (8k to do split frame)
7) Energy one: NT Solar Pro: 34k (13k to do split frame)

Is pricing ok or are we getting raked across the coals? Does one stand out from the rest? I'm leaning the NT Pres route, unless one of the others stands out completely. Haven't tried negotiating any prices yet.

*posted this on the vinyl replacement forum before finding this forum.
Last edited by golfinz on Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement window options - Austin, TX

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think you are headed the right direction.
Randy is the guy who knows that area best, he is a trustworthy soul.

golfinz

#3 Post by golfinz »

I wish he serviced this area, but he is plenty busy in the Houston area.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

The NT Presidential would be my choice from that list, choosing from which contractor you have the most confidence in. Installation details, reputation, time in business etc... would be the difference maker for me, rather than the $2k.

golfinz

#5 Post by golfinz »

Thanks Randy! Is there anything else I should look for in my area? I was told the DY TBA windows are quite a bit more than most vinyl options. Unsure if this is true or not
Last edited by golfinz on Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

TBA windows are a bit more expensive, generally - but not exorbitantly. I prefer them to vinyl, but they will not perform nearly as well on those few days when we get a winter blast.

golfinz

#7 Post by golfinz »

The cold weather days and the effects it has on our house is what’s driving this window bus. During the last cold spell, ice cycles had formed on the inside of most windows. Not a little bit either. Occurred around the entire jamb and the temp around each window is about 15-20 colder than the immediate surrounding area. We have a two story home with a large vaulted ceiling in the middle of the home. During cold days we can barely get the downstairs temp to 70-72* without having the upstairs get to 80+. Insulation is good too. We think windows will make a huge difference.

Do you happen to know the AI numbers for the NT pres single hungs? I can’t find it.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

I don’t, but I would guess .08 - .12.

golfinz

#9 Post by golfinz »

I emailed them and got the Intertek/Architectural Testing report. Air leakage/infiltration per ASTM E 283 at 75 Pa is .03 for the single hung presidential window.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

.03 is a winner

golfinz

#11 Post by golfinz »

Agreed. These NT windows seem like a really solid product. Solidified my decision to go with them.
Last edited by golfinz on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

Yeah, that’s better than I thought. Anything below .05 is great.

Good luck with everything.

golfinz

#13 Post by golfinz »

I do have a question about colors. The exterior of our home is a tan/sandstone brick. We would like to exterior to match, or get close to, the brick color while keeping the inside white. How does NT achieve this? Do they custom make the window or does the retailer buy a tan or white window and paint the other side? I think it's the former (custom vinyl) but one of the companies I'm speaking to told me this, so I'm confused:

"It is the same price for all colors"

I asked if it included having the exterior a tan/sandstone and the interior white, and the reply was:

"It would be less to go with tan vinyl in and out... it's the application of color that is so costly... they have tan vinyl that doesn't need paint... but when you want it on 1/2 then it's an applied color"

The other one told me that it's 200-400/window to get the multi colored window.

edit: got clarity on the above! No need to reply. For my project, it's about 8k more to do the multicolored window (tan exterior and white interior).

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

A split finish window will come, as you noted, at a premium. Keep us posted how it turns out.

golfinz

#15 Post by golfinz »

We are still kicking around the idea of doing the split finish window. I've attached a pic of the front of the house. It's an earthy tone brick called 'old chicago' (with similarly colored siding on the second story). Ignore the black framed window, the almond window on the ground and the dead flowerbed; haven't gotten around to pulling everything out post freeze.

Is the extra 8k worth having a split frame (almond exterior with white interior) or would all white look just fine?
Attachments
IMG_3160.JPG
IMG_3160.JPG (211.2 KiB) Viewed 2996 times