Okna vs Simonton and interior trim work

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TNflowerlover

Okna vs Simonton and interior trim work

#1 Post by TNflowerlover »

We are looking to replace the aluminum windows in our 1979 home. As you can imagine, the seals are shot. They freeze on the inside, too. We have gotten 3 estimates for 11 windows and one 6-ft sliding glass/patio door.

1) Simonton from HD is $11,624 for eleven 6500 windows and one 6100 patio door. We had these exact windows in our house in NC for 15 years before moving; we were SUPER happy with them. We had a few issues (mainly locks), but HD always fixed or replaced them. The windows didn't lose their seal and insulated very well for both temp and sound. It's hard to move away from wanting these, since we have such a long history with them.

About the only potential downfall with these is that the estimator said they would very likely have to cut out the molding of our inside window trim and install wood that I would have to paint myself or hire someone. I HATE painting. My husband is hoping they can take an oscillating saw and just cut what they need so the windows can fit (kind of like with making floors fit).

The other thing we love about HD is their warranty. It’s lifetime for labor and materials.

Simonton windows are Energy-Star certified and AAMA-certified. I don’t have the AI number, but I think I read it was 0.17? It’s on my list of questions for the estimator.

2) Okna Eco-Pro 600 windows are $12,069. It does seem the Okna brand is well-loved.

This Okna estimator said they install the windows from the outside (unlike the other 2) and can slide the windows over the interior trim work (it’s ¼ to ½ an inch wide). That sounds great in that I don’t need to paint and I can keep the interior trim work that I do really like, but wouldn't that leave a lot of gap area to caulk and fill in between the window and the trim? (Yes, I need to also ask him.) And caulk can shrink. Plus, that would mean less light because the windows would rest partially over the trim work. (I hope that makes sense.)

The material warranty is lifetime, but the labor warranty is only one year. After that, we would pay a $125 service charge to come fix things like a lock, etc. If the company ever goes out of business, then Okna would cover the materials warranty through a distributor that is 2.5 hours away (no one else is closer).

The AI rating is 0.02. They are Keystone certified, which seems to be similar to AAMA.

3) Vinyl Kraft windows are about $7,000 (I don’t have the exact quote yet…depends on that trim work issue). That’s tempting, but I can’t find hardly ANYTHING on these windows. Does anyone know anything about them? Nothing was said about their being Energy-Star certified. So unless a lot of people can convince me they are good, I’m not looking at them.

=======

General question for Okna vs Simonton: Is an AI number of 0.02 vs 0.17 really enough to feel a huge difference? Would going with a window with an AI number of 0.02 be counteracted by having to fill in gaps with caulk, etc, that might end up shrinking and/or going brittle? The Vinyl Kraft guy did mention that would be an issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Okna vs Simonton and interior trim work

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you do not mind drafts then go with the Simonton.
The Okna 600DX is a great window. Huge difference between .02 and .17 , you will feel the difference. Where is the install located, still in NC?

Can't comment with certainty on the trim jump and finish. Ask what the frame size of the new window would be and how they will finish off. Typical for many is to down size the window more than I would like, foam it and apply flat vinyl trim.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

See if you can get more details from the installer. But the 600 is the much better window.

TNflowerlover

#4 Post by TNflowerlover »

Thank you both. Here are some pics. No clue why they are sideways when they are upright on my phone. It seems if you click on each photo, it shows right side up.

The last 3 pics are what the trim on two of the windows looks like. Okna says they can install over that by coming ftom the outside, but we are concerned about gaps due to that edging near the window.

The first 3 pics are what the trim looks like at the other 9 windows. Okna also wants to slide the window over it.

I’m getting the impression no one thinks sliding over the trim is much of a concern. If that doesn’t change with the pics, we’ll definitely ask Okna more questions.
Attachments
41C1EE2D-CD59-4AB3-BDF9-FBEB8A4749AD.jpeg
D5EB9A22-DD12-4B5B-881F-ACB2618EF3C6.jpeg
477B663F-95B1-4858-9845-BBF6DEC91506.jpeg
327E6CB1-FC7F-420C-AB4C-8E8DE14AEE79.jpeg
9F4EBB6A-0DC4-4156-9DD8-305E886F5731.jpeg
E7971085-1C96-4095-838E-3F6510A1A891.jpeg
Last edited by TNflowerlover on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TNflowerlover

#5 Post by TNflowerlover »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:21 am If you do not mind drafts then go with the Simonton.
The Okna 600DX is a great window. Huge difference between .02 and .17 , you will feel the difference. Where is the install located, still in NC?

Can't comment with certainty on the trim jump and finish. Ask what the frame size of the new window would be and how they will finish off. Typical for many is to down size the window more than I would like, foam it and apply flat vinyl trim.
But, sounds like you very likely think downsizing the window might be worth the reduction in drafts?

Oh sorry…I am in TN now. It’s a bit colder here than NC, but not terribly so.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Baseboard molding for jamb extensions is a new look. I would have someone measure the exterior as well as interior opening and do a full tear out to correct that trim.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would suggest finding an installer that knows howto remove the moulding, rip it down, reapply, and get as large a frame size as possible.
theWindowNerd: helping clients get better solutions to their window pains.