replacement casement window options?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: replacement casement window options?

#46 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 am It is not better in all metrics, the air and U-values are pretty much the same, only in DP ratings is it better.
The Dp rating on the 7500 is superb but it’s overkill in most applications .
As good or better in all metrics, and the "as good" areas are only where they are both at the best rating possible.

U value: 3 pts better than Elements, not "pretty much the same".
Condensation resistance: Better
VT: Better (slimmer frame)
AI: Best, already at .01.
DP: 10 pts better than Elements and wider gap to Restorations.
You can argue that the DP rating is "overkill", and in a simple-minded way, that would be true. In reality, a stronger window will inevitably last longer and maintain its performance for a longer period of time. DP20 windows are fine from the perspective of withstanding the winds that most folks will see, but the fact of the matter is that they are flimsy and won't last long... Still wondering what is "laughable and meaningless" about a long warranty term as well. I can assure you that the people that use them many years after installation appreciate them.

@57ringo, despite my corrections of Todd above, I'm not actually trying to push you to that option. Is the Starmark (okna composite) a superior performer? Yes. Is the composite material more stronger and more stable? Arguably yes, the testing would say so. Will the Elements and Restorations end up as "sagging and warped" junk at any point in their service life? Highly unlikely, and in the vast majority of cases, NO. They are well engineered, high performing windows that would serve you well.
Ultimately, you have a group of choices ranging from very good to the literal top of the food chain here, and you really can't go wrong with any from that perspective. Only YOU know your financial situation as well as the things that you like or don't like about each of these windows and window companies, I don't think that any pro worth his salt would tell you that you are making a "bad choice" with any of the three.

57ringo

#47 Post by 57ringo »

Here's a couple videos on youtube I found on the Enerlux window I mentioned earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvsmfrUoHU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHHgobjR9_E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-z1gCEaQVk

HomeSealed

#48 Post by HomeSealed »

57ringo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 pm Here's a couple videos on youtube I found on the Enerlux window I mentioned earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvsmfrUoHU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHHgobjR9_E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-z1gCEaQVk
You have three great options, there is no reason to muck this up by overthinking. Stick to the Softlite, Okna, and Sunrise options and you will be a happy camper at the end of the day -- provided that the dealer you choose is good.

As far as the Enerlux:
- Windows look fine, nothing special
- .02 is the listed Air leakage number which is not special for a casement
- a u value of .28 is actually below average for 270 low e on a casement
- looks like they've been around since 2008, which is not bad, but also not quite the track record of the others.

Windows on Washington

#49 Post by Windows on Washington »

They make a nice window. The lack of any other operators except the casement and accessory windows makes them a non-starter for most. HomeSealed is correct about the energy data. Good...but not other worldly by any stretch.

57ringo

#50 Post by 57ringo »

I want to ad that because that I have a woodaire fireplace that I heat my home with, it's more important and beneficial to me to have windows with a lower solar heat gain # than a lower U factor because when it gets colder, I throw another log on the fire but when it's hot, my electric bill goes up. Air leakage is important too. The old house Dad & I tore down in 1982 was build turn of the century and a good wind would about blow your hat off while sitting in the house.

Windows on Washington

#51 Post by Windows on Washington »

SHGH is easy to dial up or down. That's just about glass options.

57ringo

#52 Post by 57ringo »

I went to the Topeka home show today and spoke to a few companies I got bids from but most didn't have any casements to look at there except the Marvin Integrity casement. I also talked to my neighbor which is my insurance agent about windows and mentioned I got a bid from Continental Siding for Okna windows. He said he had a customer that had CS install windows recently and had a number of problems with them...not sure if he meant windows or the installers but still unhappy with the job. Since CS is the only company in this area that sells Okna, that sure soured me on using them to install that window even if it's one of the best. I sure don't want to deal with a company and have problems.

TheWindowNerd

#53 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yup, it is the three sided issue all home owners face.
Finding excellent product.
Finding excellent installation service.
Finding an excellent company to provide both the above.
A deficit any one of those three will make a bad project.

57ringo

#54 Post by 57ringo »

One quote I received for Sunrise Restorations insert replacement windows ($22,791) with N3200A PERFORMANCE triple pane= .21 U-FACTOR AND .20 SHGC; S2100A PERFORMANCE = .26 U-FACTOR AND .19 SHGC. They said they could take $1,344.26 off switching to S2100A (DOUBLE PANE) GLASS. They use QUAD OSI caulking and also insulate around the units with foam and from the information I've read and videos I've watched it's the preferred caulking and insulating method around the windows.
The guy selling Soft-lite Elite windows ($21,340) told me he uses bat insulation around the windows. The NFRC values of the Soft-lite lowe argon filled windows was U factor .25, SHGC .24, VT .44 & CR 62 quoted.
As of now, I'm leaning towards the Sunrise because of how it's installed. Would this be a correct assessment? I know window shopping is not like buying at walmart full pricing but what is the usual mark up on windows and what would be a good cash price to pay for these?

57ringo

#55 Post by 57ringo »

I've been watching a lot of different videos from Houston Window Experts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8En8_QeIPwM

Windows on Washington

#56 Post by Windows on Washington »

A bunch of talk, but nothing about his price. I'd be interested to see what his sell price is.

57ringo

#57 Post by 57ringo »

I watched a number of his videos to learn things, not to purchase as his company is a long distance from me.

Randy

#58 Post by Randy »

Spray foam is far superior to batt insulation in every way. Fiberglass insulation is usually for show and not for performance.

toddinmn

#59 Post by toddinmn »

Batt insulation was borderline acceptable 15 years ago, gotta question anyone not using foam at this point. It is cheaper, faster and superior. You can by a spray foam gun for $20, and a can of foam for $15. A can of foam will do 20 windows or so and the guns last a time. The tech is pretty old now, anyone still using batt insulation probably thinks the world is flat.

TheWindowNerd

#60 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Product and install method look best with the Sunrise.
How about the company?