Decisions decisions.....

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
hatemakingusernames

Decisions decisions.....

#1 Post by hatemakingusernames »

First, thanks so much to all of you industry folks posting on here. I used this for research prior to getting quotes, and it was helpful to go into that process with a little knowledge. I've narrowed it to two quotes, both from local (Cleveland, OH) dealers with great reviews. The job is replacing mostly prior vinyl replacement windows that probably weren't even that great when installed by prior owner in 1991. Most of them are really difficult to open/close and don't lock or seal properly anymore.

Both dealers have their own installers rather than subs, include outside trim replacement, inner trim on the two picture windows as these will be first time replacements, no other hidden costs, similar lifetime warranties, etc. They will all be plain white, in and out, and both include better viewing type screens for the 11 DHs. Hoping to get some opinions here. A couple considerations....

1. We plan to live here for the next 30+ years & we don't want to do this again
2. The house is close to the road and I'd like to reduce road noise of passing traffic

11 double hungs ranging in size from 27x43 to 35x53 & bottom screens only
1 large (51x53) picture window
1 tiny (18x18) picture window

$10,050 Okna 600 Eco Pro- Heatseal Deluxe Package AG (U Factor .26 & SHGC .29 & AI .02) - Noise reduction coating not an option
$11,482 Sunrise Restorations - Omega 12 Glass (U Factor .28 & SHGC .21 & AI .04) Optional NRG noise reduction coating included...not sure if that changes the specs I listed or not

Thoughts?

hatemakingusernames

Re: Decisions decisions.....

#2 Post by hatemakingusernames »

One other option I forgot to add....We could upgrade to Okna Enviro-Star 800 Series for $60 per DH, not sure if same cost for the picture windows or not.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I’d go Okna and pocket the change.
If you want NRG glass get a price and weigh the difference.
I would change the glass package on the Sunrise to one with a higher SHG

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna 800 is the best of the windows being considered, but the 600 isn't far behind.

If you want "bang for the buck", I'd do the following:
Okna 600, upgrade to triple pane glass, making yourself eligible for the new Energy Star tax credit of $600 (add another $500 to bump to $1100 if you have an entry or patio door).

After the tax credit, you'll still have a great price, excellent triple pane performance, and a you can expect solid buffering of that road noise as well.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Here is what I will add to the great advice already. If I gave my installer the choice of installing any of the 3 products that you mentioned, he would want to install the Okna all day and twice on Sunday.

I think HomeSealed gave you some good ideas there as well with the Tax Credit.

hatemakingusernames

#6 Post by hatemakingusernames »

Thanks everyone! :) Sounds like I should reach back out to the Okna dealer and find out about glass options. The tax credit is only on triple pane huh, not just any window that meets energy star certification for my area? You all may not know that info, no worries if not. I hadn't considered triple pane because I (probably incorrectly) was thinking it is newer technology and may not have the kinks worked out just yet. Guessing those fears are unfounded?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Triple pane is well vetted and sorted out these days. No worries there. If it fails...whoever put it together would have a double pane fail as well. Also a covered warranty item but the last manufacturer you mentioned so you are safe there.

hatemakingusernames

#8 Post by hatemakingusernames »

Awesome. Thanks so much everyone! You've all been very helpful. :)

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

hatemakingusernames wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:09 am Thanks everyone! :) Sounds like I should reach back out to the Okna dealer and find out about glass options. The tax credit is only on triple pane huh, not just any window that meets energy star certification for my area? You all may not know that info, no worries if not. I hadn't considered triple pane because I (probably incorrectly) was thinking it is newer technology and may not have the kinks worked out just yet. Guessing those fears are unfounded?
As WOW mentioned, triple pane is tried and true. For some years its been a feature that "will be the norm someday", but with the new Energy Star ratings virtually requiring it (at least in the Northern region), that day has firmly arrived. The new U value required .22 (Northern region), triple pane will be the best and most common way to get there.
The other possibilites:

- combination of coatings including a surface 4 (interior side) that will invariably(and ironically) not be ideal for a northern climate. Most products using that type of glass currently get a .24 or .25 in double pane, so the number of products able to make that happen won't likely be many anyway.

- A suspended film like Heat Mirror. This route costs around the same as triple pane and is FAR less reliable (only a couple of companies offer it for that reason). Not a great solution.