Painted vinyl exterior frame (NT or others) - fading?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
golfinz

Painted vinyl exterior frame (NT or others) - fading?

#1 Post by golfinz »

Starting a new thread because it’s a new topic.

We’ve found the installer we want to use for our windows (NT presidential) and have decided to go the split frame/multi colored route but I’ve been reading about the potential for painted vinyl to fade. We are doing a tan/almond exterior with white interior, so the frame will be a white frame with NT’s vivid color applied to the exterior.

Does anyone have experience with this long term? NT warranties the vivid colors for 15 years and we plan on being in the house for at least that long. The front left half of our house gets hit pretty hard with summer afternoon sun (4-6pm) and am worried they might fade.

We are considering spending more to go the split frame/painted frame route because it matches the brick better, but a faded color will ultimately look worse than a non faded white frame. White looks decent on the house (most houses have white framed windows), but tan/almond look better.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Painted vinyl exterior frame (NT or others) - fading?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure about NT's process, but I suspect it is similar to other vinyl manufacturers given that none of them actually developed the tech. We've seen windows that are 15 years old and they look great. Surprisingly so.

golfinz

#3 Post by golfinz »

I imagine the process is similar across the board. I used the worked painted, but I think it's more like a powder coat and should adhere better to the vinyl. Any other opinions/suggestions here?

The window company we found isn't charging an arm/leg for having the split frame, which is refreshing. They are just passing on the mfgr added cost to us, and not marking it up. Their split frame/exterior color option is cheaper than some all white options, for the same window (NT Pres).

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

It’s not a powder coat, that is reserved for aluminum windows from NT.

The color will fade, since everything fades when exposed to UV over time, but tan will not fade significantly, in my experience. That lighter color will hold up well over the 15 years.

golfinz

#5 Post by golfinz »

Thanks Randy. Good to know since we are in similar regions. What is your recommendation to clients who are making a similar decision? Is white the safest bet or does the color hold up well enough to go the exterior color route?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

He answered it

"The color will fade, since everything fades when exposed to UV over time, but tan will not fade significantly, in my experience. That lighter color will hold up well over the 15 years."

golfinz

#7 Post by golfinz »

Thanks but I phrased it differently to see how he advises his clients when faced with a similar decision

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

If my customers are wanting a two-tone finish, I do recommend lighter colors as they will last longer and any fading won’t be as obvious.

golfinz

#9 Post by golfinz »

Cheers!

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Best wishes with your project!

uncle eddie

#11 Post by uncle eddie »

good advice. The paint will fade, but so would vinyl, painted fiberglass or metal, etc. Its a fact of life. Lighter colors are better.