Okna vs Soft-Lite vs ProVia

Share your experiences with others
Mikeinator

Okna vs Soft-Lite vs ProVia

#1 Post by Mikeinator »

Hi all,

Waiting to see how the quotes come out, but after looking at showroom demos, I'm down to what I think are my top 3 finalist windows. I didn't care for the Pella 250 or Sunrise weather stripping.

I'm down to:
Soft-Lite Imperial Elite
Okna 500 or 800
ProVia Endure

Curious on thoughts for why one would beat another, whether features or warranty, but preferably from personal experience.

Thanks in advance.

Ricknez

Re: Okna vs Soft-Lite vs ProVia

#2 Post by Ricknez »

I think the sunrise is a better offering than the provia. I do agree that pella should be crossed off the list. Are you located in PA? What state?

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

From an engineering aspect, the OKNA 800 is the clear winner. SL on paper is a great unit, however the incidental top sash "drift" when operation of the bottom sashes which causes the locks and keepers not to be in alignment was why I dumped SL years ago. Sunrise doesn't like interlocks and the meeting of their sashes on DH units and their QC has been a mess recently. ProVia makes a tight window, but I think that they went sort of cheap on the quality of the weatherstripping and I don't care how their extrusion engineers designed their interlocks between the top and bottom sashes. I'm a certified dealer for all of these brands and while no manufacturer is perfect, I feel OKNA has the least issues.

Mikeinator

#4 Post by Mikeinator »

Ricknez wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:16 pm I think the sunrise is a better offering than the provia. I do agree that pella should be crossed off the list. Are you located in PA? What state?
WI, so similar winters/cold to PA.

I didn't care for the weather stripping on the Sunrise after seeing the Soft-Lite triple weather stripping.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in WI? 800 is the best of that bunch. Provia is fine, but doesn't belong in the company of the other windows on that list.

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

#1 Okna
#2 SL Elite

That's it.

No love at all for Provia from me. Tried them out and they should stick to doors imo.

Mikeinator

#7 Post by Mikeinator »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 pm Where in WI? 800 is the best of that bunch. Provia is fine, but doesn't belong in the company of the other windows on that list.
Waukesha/Milwaukee area.

ProVia is my runner-up, but mainly tied between Soft-Lite and Okna.

However, different companies quoting the windows, so likely will come down to who has the best quote overall.

Based on my research, the windows are similarly priced around $600-$800ea before installation. I'm assuming I'll be close to $1k each installed, plus the patio door for my project which would be around $3k or so.

Still on the fence between a "window company" versus private contractor and sourcing my own windows.

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

Have you already been quoted those prices? The are a bit lighter than average. Its impossible to research pricing accurately because there are so many variables.

I'd definitely source product and install from one company unless you want to deal with the installer and window supplier pointing fingers and leaving you screwed in the middle when some service issues come up.

Mikeinator

#9 Post by Mikeinator »

uncle eddie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:30 pm Have you already been quoted those prices? The are a bit lighter than average. Its impossible to research pricing accurately because there are so many variables.

I'd definitely source product and install from one company unless you want to deal with the installer and window supplier pointing fingers and leaving you screwed in the middle when some service issues come up.
I used https://www.replacementwindowsprices.com/ but think my windows are slightly larger than standard/medium size.

https://www.infinityroofing.com/Window/ ... Calculator also came in at $750-$1,200 per window for large size.

uncle eddie

#10 Post by uncle eddie »

Welp, the first link is a fake info site made by a lead generation service. Some dated info, and some "click bait" to entice you to give them your info. I assume that you haven't done that otherwise you'd be complaining about getting 20 phone calls a day from the handful of companies that got your info as a "lead"

the other one is a roofing company. I'd expect roofers to charge less to install windows.

Mikeinator

#11 Post by Mikeinator »

uncle eddie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:59 pm Welp, the first link is a fake info site made by a lead generation service. Some dated info, and some "click bait" to entice you to give them your info. I assume that you haven't done that otherwise you'd be complaining about getting 20 phone calls a day from the handful of companies that got your info as a "lead"

teh other one is a roofing company. I'd expect roofers to charge less to install windows, there's also an increased risk of an $15 per hour "installer" leaving a crack pipe behind.
The "roofing company" has better or as good reviews as the pure window guys :wink:

And I didn't give my info to the first site, but figured to take everything there with a grain of salt. Still nice to see some reference points for an idea of what to expect.

The world of windows is quickly becoming a world I hate due to selling practices from the big name companies, conflicting reviews which may be based on poor install or misunderstanding of warranties, to hidden prices and home visits just to get estimates.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mikeinator wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:26 pm
Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 pm Where in WI? 800 is the best of that bunch. Provia is fine, but doesn't belong in the company of the other windows on that list.
Waukesha/Milwaukee area.

However, different companies quoting the windows, so likely will come down to who has the best quote overall.

Based on my research, the windows are similarly priced around $600-$800ea before installation. I'm assuming I'll be close to $1k each installed, plus the patio door for my project which would be around $3k or so.

Still on the fence between a "window company" versus private contractor and sourcing my own windows.
Is the window company HomeSealed? If no...call them first.

Mikeinator

#13 Post by Mikeinator »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:28 pm
Mikeinator wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:26 pm
Waukesha/Milwaukee area.

Is the window company HomeSealed? If no...call them first.
They're on my list, but I'm also looking for general opinions, but HomeSealed will be Okna 100% of the time.

I really believe all these windows, based on ratings, will perform the same.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends entirely on which model lines you are comparing. You want to make the distinction between initial and long term performance as well. At the end of the day, the products that most of the pros on here recommend are due to our long term experience with a given product.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Hey Mike, we do actually offer a few different window brands including those that you are considering, however we overwhelmingly find that Okna is the best option for most of our customers based on their needs and goals. Definitely not our only option though.

Regarding the ratings, I'd say that you are half right when you say that "based on ratings, they will perform the same". Despite what window salesmen want you to think, the glass options across product offerings are generally similar, and all windows seem pretty good when they are brand new.
With that said, there is a pretty big difference in quality between windows at the top and windows at the bottom, and that will dictate how long the window performs as it should and operates without failure. This is where those ratings come back into relevance, as they give a good indication of quality, generally speaking. A few points in U value and air leakage can be the difference between a window that is ready for replacement by year 10, vs one that still looks and operates like it did on day one. Just food for thought... You are considering a couple of nice options though either way.
Feel free to let me know if there is any other way that I can help.
Thanks