Soft Lite vs Renewal by Andersen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DennyOMN

Soft Lite vs Renewal by Andersen

#1 Post by DennyOMN »

I'm looking to replace a 5-6 double-hung windows in our 25 year old house and have gotten quotes for Andersen and SoftLite. I have been looking for window companies that offer long warranties that are transferable since we will sell this house in a few years when we get ready to downsize. Both companies have transferable warranties, but SoftLite seems better to me from what I've been able to learn from internet searches and what I saw with the sample Element windows I looked at. Plus, the SoftLite quote was less expensive at $2,900 a window for five. Which still seems quite expensive! What should I really expect in the current marketplace here in the Twin Cities?

I read some of the comments from a Andersen - SoftLite comparison for another MN guy from 2021 and appreciated the inputs I read from toddinmn and others on this message board so I thought I would give it a try, too! I have wood on the interior of the windows now, but am OK with going to vinyl since the replacements are in single window rooms and the finish/trim options look relatively similar to the remaining windows in the house.

That's it as an opening for now. I know you guys will ask questions/make comments to help me work through a big investment decision like this. Thanks!

HomeSealed

Re: Soft Lite vs Renewal by Andersen

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Softlite Elements is a top performer, definitely heads and shoulders above the other option here.

As far a pricing, $2900 for a single double hung would be high. Are these twin or triple units perhaps? What other options and specifics can you provide?

DennyOMN

#3 Post by DennyOMN »

Thanks, HomeSealed.
I know you weighed in on the discussion that JasonDalMN started here in May of '21 when he was comparing these two manufacturers and you seemed to be a fan of Soft Lites then...

My replacement situation is three individual windows that are 67"x45" and two that are 67"x41." The Soft Lites are the Low-E double-pane w/argon models so on the low end of the Elements model pricing group since I'm only going to be in this house just a few more years and mostly want better looking windows in these five locations (some wood discoloration and looser fits now) when I sell. The R by A windows were significantly more, but I didn't get any detailed info (it was the first sales visit I had on windows...and so now know to ask for more) on things like U-Factor, SHGC, Condensation Resistance, and Visible Transmittance ratings from HFRC and AAMA. I've asked for that sort of info now so will see what I get back, but based on the big price difference I'm leaning well away from the RbyA option right now.

One drawback with the Safe Lites is that it sounds like their production runs, if I were to order them, are pretty far out. While I'm not in a big rush to replace these right away, but I wonder if I should entertain trying to find another quality window with a strong, transferable warranty to tout to a new buyer (if such a window exists!)...

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Are you saying that the windows are 45" wide and 67" tall? If reversed, then they must be twins? I assume the former as you did specifically say "individual windows".

I'd personally move on from RBA. If you wait for those ratings (they probably won't give them to you), you'll find that they don't stack up well.

I'd also consider upgraded to triple pane glass whether you opt for the SL product or something else. It's best practice for your location IMO, and it is also necessary to meet the 2023 Energy Star standard as well as qualify for the new tax credit.

As far as lead times, this will often depend on the installation company and their schedule. There are differences from one manufacturer to the next, but generally they are all fairly close.

A few things to keep in mind if a company is booked out farther than another:

- They may just be honest and conservative in setting expectations. Plenty of sales guys will lie to get the sale. Would you prefer a company that says 14 weeks but calls you after 10 to set the installation, or one that promised 6-8 weeks but then has to delay you twice and install at 10?

- If a company promises a short lead time that IS legit, what might that say about their quality and the demand for their services?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

post pictures so we can see what ya got. Your language and our thoughts do not line up with the pricing.
RBA is insanely overpriced for a low performing window.