basement window replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MNgal60

basement window replacement

#1 Post by MNgal60 »

Our 1980s house has a small aluminum single glazed window set in a steel frame in the back corner of the basement. I hope that is the right terminology. Here's a picture.
20230418_125253.jpg
And from the outside it looks like this.
20230418_160658.jpg
I want to replace with double glazed vinyl window for easier to open and less sweating. Two different companies gave different opinions. First company only looked at photos and said he would remove and replace the rusting frame as well as the window. I asked about damage to the drywall and he said he could get the frame out without damaging the drywall. He thought the frame should be replaced.

Second guy came and looked in person and said no way would he touch the frame. It was set in concrete. He would only replace the window. He kind of brushed aside my concern about the rust on the frame. He told me it would be partially covered with vinyl and I should paint over the rest.

Which one is right? Both options make me nervous.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: basement window replacement

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Well both are right. It can be done either way. The issue with removing the steel frame is it could damage the concrete around it or the drywall. If installer 1 is telling you he will not damage the drywall and you prefer that method just hold him accountable to repair any drywall damage. We primarily leave the frame intact and just replace the window but have done it many times both ways. We always dress it up nicely so the homeowner doesn’t have to paint or look at the old steel frame anymore

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

That frame has typical surface rust, not rust like on a 25-year old Ford pickup in Northeast that requires a ton of money at the autobody shop to make correct. Most outfits will slip a vinyl hopper unit into the steel frame and jazz up as much as they can with peel and stick vinyl snap INSTA/RWD trim. Just like steel lintels, some paint maintenance is more of the "make perfect looking" is the lessor of two processes. I've removed the entire frames before and that is super messy with a lot of cutting, prying, cold chisel work, potential batching up of new mortar.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Remove the aluminum frame, leave the steel frame. Either paint the steel exterior or cap it with aluminum.
theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yep. No need to pull the steel frame here. Just frame jump it or put in a buck frame.

MNgal60

#6 Post by MNgal60 »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 pm Well both are right. It can be done either way. The issue with removing the steel frame is it could damage the concrete around it or the drywall. If installer 1 is telling you he will not damage the drywall and you prefer that method just hold him accountable to repair any drywall damage. We primarily leave the frame intact and just replace the window but have done it many times both ways. We always dress it up nicely so the homeowner doesn’t have to paint or look at the old steel frame anymore
The first guy is a small business that only takes checks or cash, so that concerns me. It would be very difficult to hold him accountable. He could be perfectly fine and good at it, but I have no way of knowing. What you said about damaging the concrete concerns me, too. :(

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

MNgal60 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:48 am
The first guy is a small business that only takes checks or cash, so that concerns me.
Good. It should. Move on.

Ultimately removing the steel frame would be ideal, but it's not going to be worth the cost (if offered by someone qualified). Too much work, too much risk of damage, etc.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Red Flags and trust your gut.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There maybe confusion as to what you and he are talking about.
There is an aluminum frame inside the steel frame. Is he saying to remove the steel frame? That can be done but is is tough as DEMike shared.

I haven't had a CC payment in a year, we incentivize our client to pay by check or cash. Why would you want to pay 4% extra?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:53 am There maybe confusion as to what you and he are talking about.
There is an aluminum frame inside the steel frame. Is he saying to remove the steel frame? That can be done but is is tough as DEMike shared.

I haven't had a CC payment in a year, we incentivize our client to pay by check or cash. Why would you want to pay 4% extra?
Because folks are so gullible so as to think they get that money back in "points and rewards". Biggest sham and the continued march to digital currency when we will all belong to the state apparatus.