Feedback on Different Brands for Wisconin

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
White35

Feedback on Different Brands for Wisconin

#1 Post by White35 »

Hello I stumbled across this forum while on my journey looking for new windows and figured what the heck I might as well ask. While looking around I didn't realize how many different companies and brands there are and now I've gotten myself into analysis paralysis. I'll list the brands I've looked at so far below but my main concern is how hard it is to find good information on some of them. I know some brands seem to work well for others but if there is any feedback on anything I list it would be greatly appreciated.

We are just starting some renovations in our daughters room which is close to a county highway and there is a train that comes through to the north so helping with sound levels as well as good window performance would be great. Looking at 1x Fixed window and 1x Casement and would get them with nailing flange/fins to install myself as new construction.

Wasco Windows (Minnkota Windows) - Quoted $1500 for the 2 windows (Fixed was Triple Pane and Tilt & Turn Double Pane) - When talking with their salesman he stated they used to be made in WI but now are being made by Minnkota. My interest in this brand was the Tilt & Turn Style window. They had multiple rubber style weather striping that at least to me looked way better then anything I saw at big box store even on their Casement window sample.

Simonton Premium from HD - Quoted $1190 for Fixed and Casement both Triple Pane - Not much to say I liked the fact at the store they had a lot of different options to spec the window. Only thing I didn't like is I couldn't see one in person so I'm not sure how great the weather stripping is.

Pella 250 from Lowes - Quoted $1350 for Slider and Casement both Double Pane - Old quote from last year so price is not accurate and I hadn't priced out a fixed with Triple Pane. Just seemed like an okay window at the time and the ones in the store on display were not in great shape.

Anderson 100 from Lumber Yard - Haven't got the quote yet but the display looked nice.

Marvin Essential from same Lumber Yard and also waiting on the quote. The display looked very nice.

Alliance Windows by Midway from the same Lumber Yard as the other 2. It looked okay but that was the one the sales guy really pushed.

Performance was very similar across the board with Pella being u-value of .26 to .27, Wasco at .28 for Tilt and .20 for the Fixed, Both the Simonton's were at .2 but they are also Triple Pane, and I didn't have numbers for the rest but expecting them to be in the same area based off of literature on their sites. It just comes down to what the person quotes me.

The one note I have is how different some salesman are then others. Wasco and the person at HD were all for whatever options I wanted to ask about and get. While the Lumber yard I felt like he brushed off my thoughts on Triple Pane and didn't even ask me about glass options. They even didn't want to give the light of day to talk about the other window brands they had. They basically told me no reason for Triple Pane because windows are built so tight now. I understand that there may be a very small gain for going to Triple Pane but if it helps out any and the investment is within reason I don't mind spending the money on it since outside of something weird happening we plan to live in our house until well into retirement.

Sorry for the small rant and long post. The TLDR is it feels hard to know what brands generally considered good and which brands aren't with the lack of good reviews or information on some brands.

Again any feedback would be great and if not no worries.

Windows on Washington

Re: Feedback on Different Brands for Wisconin

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Kind of all over the place on materials. What do you want, look/feel wise?

White35

#3 Post by White35 »

I'm looking if any of these are reasonable brands to purchase. I liked the options of Simonton but couldn't see it in person. I liked the looks of Anderson 100 Series and what I saw of Marvin but I don't know the specs yet from the quotes. My main wants are good U-Value with a solid STC in a Casement and Fixed/Picture window. It's possible it doesn't really matter and they'll all perform fine. Thanks for the time.

Generally aesthetics wise just a nice clean looking window that isn't to bulky or looks super cheap.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Given the operator types, they all should be close to airtight. The larger guys will probably have the better data set on the STC values as well as options to choose from in that family of products.

STC goals will limit some of your triple pane options as well as pool of energy specific front runners.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Only one company that I recommend as a default in Wisconsin, and that is HomeSealed.

Narveel

#6 Post by Narveel »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:29 am Only one company that I recommend as a default in Wisconsin, and that is HomeSealed.
That is a great endorsement.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Homesealed is top notch.