ProVia vs Ideal vs Okna 400/500/800 in LI

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dclcli

ProVia vs Ideal vs Okna 400/500/800 in LI

#1 Post by dclcli »

Lots of great information on this board, been helpful for learning since best not to rely on the window company sales people. Also got quotes from recommended companies from past posts (Thanks).

My house built in 1960’s so very drafty is on Long Island New York, shows a North Central climate so both hot and cold. Have Certainteed windows installed by prior owners so at least 30+ years old now and every window has seal failure. Replacing all 23 windows with white vinyl replacements: 18DH, 3 picture, 2 octagons.

Saw the Okna 500&800 and they were very nice but not sure the premium pricing is worth it. The 800 is definitely ruled out. Ideal Platinum seems a good middle ground. Probably some minor wiggle room on all estimates once I am ready to move forward. Also may consider Okna 500 but depends if estimate comes down. Definitely will need to add insulation in attic and knee-walls after windows to try to reduce air loss.
Any thoughts to help me decide?

RBA : absurd
Power : $27k
Window Word(4250 series): $17.8k

ProVia Endure:
Double Pane DLA-UA single strength low-e w/argon
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.21 VT: 0.47 AI: .05 CR: 60
or
Okna 400/Precision Weld Heatseal Deluxe:
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.29 VT: 0.53 AI: .05 CR: 62
can do Okna or ProVia listed above for same price $13k . pushing ProVia saying it is slightly better.

Ideal Platinum Energy Elite double pane/foam filled:
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.22 VT: 0.49 AI: .02
$14.5k

Okna 500/Insul-Tec Heatseal Deluxe:
U: 0.26 SHGC: 0.27 VT: 0.52 AI .02 CR:61
$17.3k

Okna 800/Enviro-Star Heatseal Deluxe:
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.29 VT: 0.52 AI: .01 CR: 62
$19k

All installers seem ok and been in business long time.
Includes installation and all new white metal external finish capping.

Thanks,
-DC

toddinmn

Re: ProVia vs Ideal vs Okna 400/500/800 in LI

#2 Post by toddinmn »

That is really good/ low pricing, about a decade behind.
I have heard good things about the the Ideal, and if true that price is very low. I’d step up to the Okna 500 and even though the 800 seems much higher the price is very low. Maybe change the glass package on the Ideal to a higher SHGC.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

Are you getting any grids ? The Ideal " platinum" is a pretty solid offering as its similar to their Ideal "majestic series" window. That is very aggressive pricing for that window.
As far as the Okna window is concerned, you would be much better served by looking at their 500 series and up.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:37 pm That is really good/ low pricing, about a decade behind.
^^^THIS!^^^

That Okna 500/800 pricing is about $5-8k below average these days. This is not "Premium pricing". Same for the Ideal. That one is even more mind-blowing if it's a reputable company.

Put it this way, it's good that you got a Window World quote because that gives you a nice, low-bar in terms of what an entry level product at an entry level price would be. The fact that you have some premium options around the same price says that there are either some major red flags, or that you should sign asap before they roll back the offseason discounts, or before they realize that some new sales rep screwed up your quote.

dclcli

#5 Post by dclcli »

Thanks for feedback. Still considering increasing budget to go with Okna 500. The difference is not much when thinking long term on a window that can last 30 years.

All quotes are without grids.
Looked at the suggestion to upgrade the glass thermal option on the Ideal window which seems to make a lot of sense. just don’t have the cost difference yet. From Elite to Green:
Elite: U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.22 VT: 0.49 AI: .02
Green: U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.28 VT: 0.51 AI: .02

All estimates are from legit companies been in business a long time. Not sure why this region has better prices. Maybe just more competition and high volumes with so many older homes. The advertisements from the franchise companies is endless. RBA flyers multiple times per week all year long plus many others in local newspapers weekly.

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

See if you can get the " energy green" package for the Ideal platinum/majestic window.

Nashville1957

#7 Post by Nashville1957 »

Those Okna quotes are the best in the country! If its from a quality installer, that's a great option.

Perspective, I just signed a contract for the 600 series at $1300/window. You can get the 500 series at $750/window or the 800 series at $830/window installed??!! Either option would be amazing. At the prices you're getting, the premium is well worth it, even on the 800 series. Stretch budget stretch.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

At least 10 years behind. Installers must be serfs or indentured of some sort.

Where is the installation?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

1) Amen to Nashville 1957

2) I'd really focus on vetting the dealers here based on the pricing. Being in business for a long time is a nice start, but dig deeper. For instance, we have a company in my area that claims to have been in business for 30 years. In reality, they've been an actual company for only a few years. A shady "sales type" approached a long time subcontractor, got into a "partnership" changed the name of his business entity and boom!: They claim that this retail company has been in business for 30 years.

- Check the BBB to make sure they're accredited, have an A+, and have few or no complaints. This isn't hard. If someone says that they don't want to pay the $600 per year (or whatever it is now) to be accredited, what else are they pinching pennies on?
Also, the length of their BBB file should match (within reason) to the length of time that they are claiming to be in business.

- Google rating should be 4.5 at bare minimum. 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 is very achievable if you do good work and deliver good service. Quantity of reviews should be measurable depending on time in business, definitely 100+ for someone that has been around.

- A brick and mortar location is a must IMO. If things go sideways for some reason, you know that you can walk in and talk to someone rather than having nothing more than a phone number and email where someone can avoid your attempts to contact.

- 10+ years in business drastically improves the odds that this company will be around to service you

- Check other "rating" sites/bodies as well such and Angi's, etc.

With all of that said, does any or all of this guarantee a great experience? Nope. But it sure increases your odds BY A TON. Same thing if you flip it. Will a guy/company that has none or little of the above deliver a bad job? Not necessarily, but you are certainly taking a greater chance. The vast majority of horror stories in the home improvement industry are about folks that took the "too good to be true" price and got screwed, not people that paid a fair price or even a little higher and got a quality finished product. To be frank, while I don't love the RBA product or their sales tactics, your odds of looking back with satisfaction when this is all said and done are better with those guys than with the low bidder(s).
Realistically, the sweet spot will be a company that fits the points that I laid out above (or at least close to it), and comes in with a price somewhere between WW and RBA. I don't care how competitive your market is, the product cost is the same regardless of region. Labor rates are up everywhere. Marketing costs are up everywhere (this is certainly not lower in a more competitive market). I'll reiterate what I said earlier, which is that it would be very wise to use that WW price (they have a low cost window and generally low cost labor) as the entry point for pricing expectation. Regardless of product, I'd run so fast from anyone priced 20%+ lower than WW that I'd leave a cloud of dust behind.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We tried Ideal as an alternative to Okna. We had terrible QC issues with Majestic.

I like the Okna 800Dx the best. With out seeing the total scope, we would charge 21K. We are the best value in our market.
The 800Dx is a very tight well built unit. My installers hate to touch anything else.
theWindowNerd

dclcli

#11 Post by dclcli »

Will certainly research more on the contractors doing installation.

Still narrowing down the window choices. Not clear which glass rating is most important. Go with triple pane lower U value or better Okna model. Any thoughts as they all fall within my budget range? These are going to be white vinyl and I am not particular on the visual look of the window. The Okna 800 is out of reach cost wise as having 23 windows to replace.

Okna 400/Precision Weld
Triple pane Heatseal Deluxe-foam filled:
XR9:U: 0.21 SHGC: 0.25 VT: 0.42 AI: .05 CR:72

Ideal Platinum Energy Green double pane/foam filled:
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.28 VT: 0.51 AI: .02
(this has mixed reviews on manufacturer and contractor)

Okna 500/Insul-Tec Heatseal Deluxe:
U: 0.26 SHGC: 0.27 VT: 0.52 AI .02 CR:61

Okna 600/Eco-Pro Heatseal Deluxe:
U: 0.27 SHGC: 0.29 VT: 0.53 AI: 0.02 CR: 63

Ricknez

#12 Post by Ricknez »

I like that okna 600.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Never seen anyone NOT be happy with Triple Pane and a tight window.

Issac83

#14 Post by Issac83 »

Are you getting any grids? The Ideal "Platinum" cannacraftcorner is a solid option, similar to their "Majestic Series" window, and it comes at a very aggressive price point. Regarding the Okna window, I recommend pureplantpleasures considering their 500 series and higher for better quality and performance.
Last edited by Issac83 on Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

As compared to what...the 800 series?