Name of group of windows that fits between studs? No header?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rebar

Name of group of windows that fits between studs? No header?

#1 Post by rebar »

I have four windows that are right next to each other, and "look" like they are all separate windows which fit tight between 16" on center studs.. The rough openings must be 14 1/2".

What is the name of this style of window, which I'm assuming does not require a header, only blocking? I also imagine windows 22 1/2" rough opening width to be just just as popular/easy and with the same name?

Thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: Name of group of windows that fits between studs? No header?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am not aware of a specific name for that.
Small no header, or headerless stud pocket.
DE Mike and I could get creative: direct glaze IGU over the edges of stud then jamb ot studs, or Just paint or cap the studs gives you VG 14 1/2" or 22 1/2". I have not seen a 24" OC in ages.
wayne theWindowNerd

rebar

#3 Post by rebar »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:26 pm I am not aware of a specific name for that.
Small no header, or headerless stud pocket.
DE Mike and I could get creative: direct glaze IGU over the edges of stud then jamb ot studs, or Just paint or cap the studs gives you VG 14 1/2" or 22 1/2". I have not seen a 24" OC in ages.
wayne theWindowNerd
Thanks TheWindowNerd..

Yes, there's a aluminum cap sealing off between each window.. Im almost certain there is no big header over my windows, and my neighbor has one too.. Im pretty sure they are Hurd windows and Im surprised its not more common due to labor and material savings..

IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Any pics?

That arrangement would definitely be unconventional, it's more likely that there is a continuous header over the entire bank of windows and these just happen to be sized to look like they are placed between studs. Anything is possible of course, just curious to know if there is any reason that would lead you to believe that there is not a header besides the width of the individuals units?

If it is what you suspect and you wanted a name for it, I'd call it "failed inspection".
This may vary by region, but around here inspectors require a full header over any opening regardless of whether or not its needed (balloon framed homes being common in some of our older housing stock).

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

...and there are the pics.

That's a factory mulled quad unit. No studs in between, and it will have a header above the opening.

Again, curious to know what would make you think that there wouldn't be?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Agreed, quad mulled unit.
It is a non bearing wall, but code would require a structural header anyway.

rebar

#7 Post by rebar »

HomeSealed wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:26 pm ...and there are the pics.

That's a factory mulled quad unit. No studs in between, and it will have a header above the opening.

Again, curious to know what would make you think that there wouldn't be?
Because all the windows measure like they would have fit between studs.. Thanks for the clarification .

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Gotcha.
Just coincidence here. Definitely not the case, and in a few decades in this business I can't say that I've ever run into that. I'm sure that people have done it, don't get me wrong, just very uncommon and not advisable.

Are you looking at replacing this unit? ...Let us know if there's any other way that we can help, or if you were just looking for a name for that style install.

WHITE GAS

#9 Post by WHITE GAS »

Last edited by WHITE GAS on Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebar

#10 Post by rebar »

This addition has engineered trusses, so its not load bearing.

I was wondering about windows that were designed to fit between studs, but made to look like one unit for my other property and I'm disappointed that they don't exist.

uncle eddie

#11 Post by uncle eddie »

rebar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 am This addition has engineered trusses, so its not load bearing.

I was wondering about windows that were designed to fit between studs, but made to look like one unit for my other property and I'm disappointed that they don't exist.
There would be nothing special about the window other than the sizing, it has everything to do with the framing and installation. In theory if there is no load bearing down on the window (no stud above it) for the header to need to disperse weight, then none would be needed and you could slide a window between studs with no header. An inspector may see it differently as they require headers in non-load bearing applications all the time, but who knows.
Either way, there would be nothing special about a window to do the type of install that you want. I wouldn't do it that way, but that's just me

WHITE GAS

#12 Post by WHITE GAS »

Last edited by WHITE GAS on Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

perhaps the OP knows the gable ends need little structural support for the little load.

uncle eddie

#14 Post by uncle eddie »

You are too kind Mr Window Nerd.

While the Brown gas statement that all exterior walls bear some weight and simple folks call it gravity is not incorrect, the condescending insinuation that they should all be treated the same is downright moronic. This cat is sounding more like a shady window salesman than a carpenter.

rebar

#15 Post by rebar »

WHITE GAS wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 am
rebar wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 am This addition has engineered trusses, so its not load bearing.

ALL exterior walls are load bearing…engineered truss, stick framed, balloon framed, etc. The truss supports the weight of the sheathing, shingles, and yes itself to some degree, but that weight transfers to down forces; we commonly call this gravity.
Is my kitchen partition wall load bearing even though it only supports potted plants? Is that how you talk to your customers? You may want to stick to decaf.