Windows in Winston-Salem, NC

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
UnclePete

Windows in Winston-Salem, NC

#1 Post by UnclePete »

Just bought a 1957 brick ranch with very funky, single-pane windows. 14 windows, two double-hung and the rest sliders. I've found an installer who comes highly recommended, but he only installs Provia and Joyce, and neither of those brands is well-regarded here. The only installers recommended by Okna and MI/Sunrise are nationwide franchises, which are also looked down on here. Nextdoor posters overwhelmingly recommend Window World, but once again the pros here say to stay away. I'd very much appreciate your suggestions.

rear windows.jpg

HomeSealed

Re: Windows in Winston-Salem, NC

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Joyce is a decent window if that is a well-reviewed, reputable company.

As far as franchise type companies, you could certainly do worse than the ones that offer a top product like Okna or Sunrise Restorations. Many of these companies cut corners by offering a cheap window and cheap labor, but if they are spending the money on a premium product that is a good sign in the right direction.

UnclePete

#3 Post by UnclePete »

Thanks, HomeSealed. I appreciate your feedback. So should I take it from your remarks that you think Joyce is a better quality window than the Provia?

Also, I found another local window company that is a SoftLite dealer, but mostly deals in NBP and just signed on with Vinyl Kraft. Any thoughts on those two compared with the SoftLite?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the line of windows you are comparing, but Joyce does make a pretty solid product.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

UnclePete wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:12 pm Thanks, HomeSealed. I appreciate your feedback. So should I take it from your remarks that you think Joyce is a better quality window than the Provia?

Also, I found another local window company that is a SoftLite dealer, but mostly deals in NBP and just signed on with Vinyl Kraft. Any thoughts on those two compared with the SoftLite?
I would take Joyce over Provia, yes. Personally I wouldn't consider the Provia vinyl models.

Softlite's upper lines (Elements and Elite) are very good and would jump to the top of the list here IMO. It may be a little bit of a red flag for that particular dealer that he prefers the cheaper, lower end stuff. Sounds like he's just offering what he can get from his local supply house. You'd have more security in dealing with a company that has enough volume and history to buy direct from a manufacturer.