Okna 700 Casement Windows Issues

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
elementman

Okna 700 Casement Windows Issues

#1 Post by elementman »

Hi There--

I am wondering if anybody has experience with Okna 700 casement windows? I had about 20 of these windows installed in November, and I am regretting the purchase. Although I opted for triple-paned windows, I had condensation issues this winter. I own multiple homes in this same geographical region, and none of them had this issue. Now that it is warmer, I am opening windows, and I just found that the crank mechanisms on a few of the windows are stripped. The windows do not open and close smoothly. When I purchased these windows, I had thought I was buying premium windows, but these issues make me skeptical. I am wondering if anybody else has had an issue with these casement windows? Thanks!

Ricknez

Re: Okna 700 Casement Windows Issues

#2 Post by Ricknez »

You sure you didn't get element windows installed? Maybe you have blinds which trap moisture and causes a lot of condensation. ...
Maybe your new windows are much more air tight and because they dont leak cold/ moist air, you could get some more condensation which is very normal.
If you do have Elements, that means the window is working. Also keep your humidifier down in the winter.
Older leaky windows will always have less condensation than a much tighter/efficient window.
Last edited by Ricknez on Wed May 01, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elementman

#3 Post by elementman »

No-it was a big job, and the windows are all Okna 700 windows (except for the fixed glass ones). I have had the regional sales manager (George F.) out to my house to check the work and the windows. I have done full replacement windows done on two other homes, using Anderson 400 windows, and there were never any issues. It might be that Okna doesn't make great casement windows. I don't know. That is why I am posing the question. It does not seem like an unreasonable one to ask in a forum of this sort.

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

Read my response above.

elementman

#5 Post by elementman »

Hi--I did all that (making sure blinds were not shut, etc.). The problem is that the windows are very, very cold in the corners, where the panes meet the spacers. I thermally imaged them, and then I did the same with windows from another manufacturer. A big difference.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Interesting first post(s)... but yes, the Okna 700 casement is one of the very best performers on the market today.

Have you contacted the installation company with your concerns?

Have you researched window condensation and the role that interior humidity plays? Windows can only control one part of this, and it is reflected in the CR (condensation resistance) rating which again, is in the very top tier on this window when comparing apples to apples glass.

I'd contact your installation company/dealer if you haven't already done so, they should be able to assist on all levels.

elementman

#7 Post by elementman »

IMG_0363 (1).jpg

elementman

#8 Post by elementman »

Hi HomeSealed--Thanks for the reply. I have done all this; in fact, I had the regional manager out to my house after the installation was done. I have the blessing (or curse!) to own multiple homes in the same area, and these windows are the only ones with these issues. I am quite experienced with home renovation. A few years ago, on a larger home, I did an entire house with Anderson 400 windows. That house, BTW, has steam humidification built into the HVAC system, so we run it at a higher humidity. No issues. Tonight, when opening a few of the Okna casement windows, I noticed that the crank mechanisms were jittery, as though they were stripping out. This seems almost impossible for new windows, but it is the case.

elementman

#9 Post by elementman »

I posted a thermal image from this winter, so you can see that I am not making this up. The corner of the windows were very nearly at the freezing point, as you can see. So it's understandable why there was condensation.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Condensation is a black and white issue. The hvac system while relevant, does not actually provide answers, as much like the windows, it is only a component. In cold weather when you see condensation on these windows, use a hygrometer to get RH readings in the rooms in question, and compare to your other properties.

As far as the hardware issues, the only thing that would cause that would be settlement since installation (there are built in adjusters and a tool for this), or a bad install.

You have not mentioned anything about the installation company/dealer here, but you did mention your extensive experience in home renovation. Did you install these?

Whether you did or did not, you should know that something like 90%+ of legitimate issues with windows are due to installation... and that is especially true fro a product like this that's darn near dummy proof to install.

Regarding your images, what was the exterior temperature when those were taken?

elementman

#11 Post by elementman »

Hi--the exterior temperature that day was 15 degrees F. I did not install the windows myself; I used an authorized installer in NJ. I have hygrometers throughout the home. The point about HVAC is that I have another home that uses an Aprilaire 800 whole house steam humidifier to keep RH high, and this home, which was running 42% RH to my 28%, had no issues. The other home is just a few miles from this one. As I said, it is perplexing.

elementman

#12 Post by elementman »

IMG_0364 (1).jpg

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Not as much perplexing as it is impossible unless you have some extraordinary issue with installation.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 9.35.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 9.35.27 PM.png (42.99 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

elementman

#14 Post by elementman »

This is a brand new triple-pane Okna 700 casement window w/ condensation. Outside temperature was 15 degrees F. Indoor RH% was approximately 35%. This is the same window as the thermal image I shared earlier.

elementman

#15 Post by elementman »

Do you believe your eyes :-)? There was major condensation. On a triple pane Okna 700 window.