Okna 700 Casement Windows Issues

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Okna 700 Casement Windows Issues

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

I can see a very unconcerning level of condensation yes, but what I cannot see is proof of the conditions.I most certainly do not see "Major condensation" :lol:

As a matter of fact, you stated that the RH was 28%, and now state that it's 35%? I'm confused.

elementman

#17 Post by elementman »

For avoidance of doubt, here is a window sticker. This is an XR9, which is a triple paned window.
image0.jpeg

elementman

#18 Post by elementman »

It was 28% when I compared with my other home, as I stated. The photo was not taken at that exact moment.

elementman

#19 Post by elementman »

Here is an example of the readout I get from one of the hygrometers in my home. This one happens to be in the dining room. I have them throughout the home. Good devices. I am not always here, so I like to monitor remotely.
image0.png

toddinmn

#20 Post by toddinmn »

Have you tried putting a level on the windows or measuring if they are square?

elementman

#21 Post by elementman »

Hmmm--you might be onto something, and thanks for the suggestion! I just checked with a level on one of the windows where the crank is slipping, and it does not appear to be level. This might explain why the window crank is slipping when opening the window (going against gravity) but it is really easy to close the window (going with gravity). Thanks!

Delaware Mike

#22 Post by Delaware Mike »

Being square is more important than that of just being level at the sill perfectly. One desires plumb, level and square provided a product is actually made correctly. With casements operable sash sag on the strike side is paramount for pro installers to tweak. We can set these things perfectly according to the math of the level, but not have a sash panel squared in the master frame. We can tweak or cheat with the adjustable hinge arm nut a tad, but sometimes we have to kick out of level on one corner of the sill a tiny bit to create more sash tolerance margins for proper clearance. Setting a house of casements is a higher skill set than that of double hungs.

elementman

#23 Post by elementman »

Thanks Delaware Mike! Great info.

elementman

#24 Post by elementman »

Just spoke to installer. He wants to simply send me new handles. That does not seem like a sufficient response when dealing with new casement windows...

Ricknez

#25 Post by Ricknez »

I have casements throughout my home and some handles can appear loose as there is always variability in casement handles. If you cannot close the window that may indicate the window somehow fell out of square. Sounds like a new handle is needed or perhaps it's just loose and normal. A level doesn't particularly mean anything since installers sometimes need to make adjustments. If I put a level on my casements, a few won't be perfectly level since I needed to make some modifications due to the openings on my home. That is fairly typical with casements.

elementman

#26 Post by elementman »

It is not an issue of handles being loose though. The "teeth" on the handles disengage with the teeth on the crank mechanism, and the windows are therefore very hard to open. They are easy to close, however. The installer is going to come out and check again. As far as I can tell, both the handles and the crank spindle are solid metal, and the windows have only been opened maybe ten times, so something must be causing this other than a defect.

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with DM, a level is of limited value here and having a window slightly out of level does not indicate an installation issue with certainty. The window needs to be installed square to seal and operate properly, and close enough to level operate, drain moisture properly, etc. while balancing the aesthetics of an opening (including your woodwork) that is often not level itself. What you are really looking for here again is that the window is square, the sash within it is square, and that the reveals from sash to frame are as they should be. As I mentioned in my previous post, there are built in cam adjusters on the hardware to get these dialed in as needed, assuming that the install is good. Based on the location of the condensation, I wouldn't suspect an issue with sealing of the window (ie: if it were racked). It would be more likely to see condensation at the sash to frame interface where the air would be leaking in that case.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you do not need to crank these windows in tight, and in fact that can cause hardware stripping and wear. The sash only needs to be cranked in far enough for the lock/latch to catch, and that does the "heavy lifting" to seal the window. Whether or not new handles is a stand alone appropriate solution depends on whether or not a defect exists that will cause that to reoccur. This isn't something that can be diagnosed from behind a computer screen.

Sounds like you have someone coming out to check the install, that is the best next step.

elementman

#28 Post by elementman »

Hi HomeSealed--I never crank them tight when closing. There is no need. The multiple point latches in the Okna windows take care of that by pulling the window sash in. The condensation most clearly does not occur where the window meets the frame. It occurs where the surface temperatures on the window are really low, which is on the interior corners of the windows, where the glass touches the spacers. Thus, I do not think the two issues are in fact related.

Ricknez

#29 Post by Ricknez »

Sounds like a handle issue, nothing more and nothing less.

elementman

#30 Post by elementman »

On two brand new windows? I don't know--that seems unlikely, and if so, then this would seem to be a QC issue at Okna. We will see.