I have Alside Fairfield 80 series windows that the outside noise is crazy

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Loridcampbell

I have Alside Fairfield 80 series windows that the outside noise is crazy

#1 Post by Loridcampbell »

The Fairfield 80 series windows that I purchase allow a lot of outdoor noise to be heard inside my old ones did not .does
anybody have any sugestions? Wy I also noticed that there's no Caulk between the outside of the window to the Siding I would think this would allow water to go down my Walls , is it normal with these type of windows to be able to see the wood trim behind the wrap on the Exterior? I know the type of wood absorbs and swells with moisture. Please help with feedback. And if any one happens to know what the u factor and solar heat gain should read for south facing in windows n Montana (zone 6) extreme hot/cold. thermostat is set at 65 and on a 65 degree day my home heats up 7-8 degrees warmer . Is there gas in all windows? Girl that knows nothing about windows. Yikes! Thanks for any help much appreciated. Is it common for energy star stickers to by wrong on windows...how would I know ?

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: I have Alside Fairfield 80 series windows that the outside noise is crazy

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

That window has an Air Leakage rate of .20ish, so they are drafty by design unfortunately. Also It's unlikely energy star stickers would be printed up wrong but anything is possible. If you post up some photos on the exterior that would be helpful regarding caulk. It is common practice not caulk around new construction windows

Loridcampbell

#3 Post by Loridcampbell »

Who can I get to do a test for energy efficiency on my windows in Billings MT and a cost associated ?? Piece of mind is what I'm looking for....I relied on the energy star sticker , now I'm told those were wrong....so how would I find out exactly? So confused !

WindowsDirectCinci

#4 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Why do you think they are wrong? It’s highly unlikely it’s incorrect. The numbers on the energy star label are going to be a reflection of the glass ordered. If you have information on the glass ordered with it that would be helpful or if you can post a photo of the energy star label or a white label that is on the inner part of the window header or on the sash

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WDC's comments. Not a very tight window out of the package unfortunately.

I also agree that the NFRC labels are unlikely to be incorrect, there are some pretty strict processes for those. Who told you that they were wrong and why? You can also compare that info to the factory sticker (generally in the head jamb on DH windows), that will typically give some detail on the glass pack used.
As far as testing, there are certain things that could be known, but its next to impossible to test and verify that you received exactly what you ordered... The two sets of stickers are pretty good indicators.

If there is any type of mix up here, it's more likely that the dealer messed up your order. Hopefully this is not a case where the stickers don't match what you contracted for, but the dealer is saying that the windows are correct but the stickers are wrong?... They probably aren't telling the truth if that is the situation,

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sadly...if it leaks air...it leaks sound as well. This is the likely more contributive factor.