Help! with first time window id for a matching sash kit

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lowpost99

Help! with first time window id for a matching sash kit

#1 Post by lowpost99 »

Hello, this is my first post, and very handy and mechanically inclined around house, car, and small engines, maintain everything in sight for over 40yrs. However, I'm new to anything besides installing whole frame windows and doors. I have wood windows on my home and one has completely rotted out in it's corner. (See pics) From my research this past week, it sounds like I need a sash kit, or the two pieces of wood that form the biscuit joint. Can anyone help me to understand the window brand that was installed by the builder 24 years ago? I've attached a bunch of pic of what I though may be helpful, but please let me know if there is additional or different information that I can provide. Thank you so much for help!
PXL_20240603_140859550.jpg
PXL_20240603_140846171.jpg
PXL_20240603_140835114.jpg
PXL_20240603_140822719.jpg
PXL_20240603_140732624.jpg

Delaware Mike

Re: Help! with first time window id for a matching sash kit

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Could be an old Caradco or Weathershield?

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I would just try to find a new sash kit since the tracks look a little rough as well.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sash kit of a full insert. I think you'll find the full insert to be both easier to put in and seal better.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

WOW is correct.

I also think crapco.

lowpost99

#6 Post by lowpost99 »

Thanks for the replies fellas! I am missing something however in the recommendation from WOW. What is a sash kit of a full insert or was that a minor typo? I'm you're saying one or the other. because I thought these are different things and you're saying the full insert would be easier to install vs. a sash kit. If I've got that right, and your saying sash kit or full insert, please note, this is in my garage, so the I don't care as much about the seal stuff, but more about cost, installation headache, and the match to the remaining windows, and the upper sash which isn't messed up.

I need the 101 of what comes with a full insert vs. a sash kit. Where do you recommend that I shop for one and do I need to tell them that it is Cardaco window? I've only had a couple of people tell me that I need a sash kit, and I thought that was two new sashes with gbg glass, tracks locks and balances. They never mentioned full insert but maybe because they just don't sell them.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Insert = a window with a fame that is put inside the prior wood frame of the old window after the sashes and jamb liners are removed

Sash kit = just sashes and jamb liners without a frame

Sash kit will give you a bit more glass, but is harder to install and get fit into the opening perfectly.

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

I agree, a pocket replacement will be easier and may even cost less than a sash kit if you throw a cheap vinyl unit in there

If it needs to match, than a sash kit. You measure it pretty much the same way as a pocket. Brand of the original doesn't matter, and they are probably out of business.

lowpost99

#9 Post by lowpost99 »

Any ideas on where to get a good deal on a full sash for an Anderson window? Are full sashes typically more expensive than the kits?

lowpost99

#10 Post by lowpost99 »

Pocket replacement = Full sash insert ?

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Yes.
Pocket/ insert windows are typically more expensive then sash kits if comparing the same line from the same company.
Local “lumber” yards can be a good source.
Home Depot carries Andersen.
I think Andersen has a sash kit in the E-series only and Marvin in the Ultima. A

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

AW makes sash kits in E series. Also AW makes "conversion kits for Narrolines only.
Marvin discontinued tilt pacts.