Certified Milgard Installation Question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dapplega

Certified Milgard Installation Question

#1 Post by dapplega »

Hello, I'm hoping to get some piece of mind regarding my Milgard Window installation.
This installation is being done by a Milgard Certified installer. I read the Milgard installation specification and it says up to 1/4 gap between window and frame. The windows being installed have a greater gap. The fin is 1 and 1/4 and on some of the windows the mounting hole is visible meaning only about 1/4" of fin is contacting. I'm also concerned about the shim job on the bottom and would have assumed this would have been furred in? The installer said not to worry as it is taped inside and out and caulked. I asked if I was making a big deal out of exceeding the 1/4" Milgard specification and didn't say no but acted like I was. Your opinion please! Thanks.
IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4708.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG

toddinmn

Re: Certified Milgard Installation Question

#2 Post by toddinmn »

1/4 “ gapping

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:05 am 1/4 “ gapping works in a perfect world and new construction. The gaps seem to be in reason

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As your installer indicated it will be taken care of by proper sealing and foaming.
It is difficult to get spacing perfect when measuring an existing unit being replaced with full frame down to RO.
For them to get the best measure would have required pulling the inside casing at measure and digging around.
There are other variables like outside cladding overhanging the RO. So, you can not and do not show all the facts for us to second guess what you have going on.
Unfortunately you have doubts and do not trust the installer or you would not be here. Repair that relationship or you made a bad purchase decision.
Not sure if it applies " It is always cheaper to do it right the first time, unless you are wealthy enough to do it twice"
theWindowNerd

dapplega

#5 Post by dapplega »

Thanks.
Don't believe the installer is doing any foam work. Tape on both sides of the window fin, bead of caulk around the tape (not on the fin).
Yes, one of the things the installer noted is the gap was there in the old windows (also not filled or furred in).
I did pull all the casing before they started work, as the salesman recommended, but all measurements they took were prior to this and from the exterior.

You mention trust, I am detailed but also realize I don't know what I don't know. The installer misordered one of the picture windows and the crew of 3 broke another on the first day of install (reordered) due to how they leaned it against wall. When they installed the window with the pics they only used 4 mounting screws and then taped over. I asked why they didn't mount all around and he said they did. I pointed out only 4 screws (was able to look under the tape) and he said that was an error. Compound this with my concern that given the size of the gaps and the fin, the contact area of fin to structure is minimal (at or above the nail line). So, part of my attempt to restore trust was to reach out to others here and see if my concerns are valid. If not, I can accept that. I can send other pics if you tell me what would be helpful. I do appreciate the feedback.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You sound like a reasonable person.
Your concerns seem warranted.
Since you have access, you should foam with window and door foam. More about that if you wish...
Many mfg have install suggestion, more nails in the nail fins probably also warranted.
Just did a new construction install on a custom home in Princeton< NJ. Tough state for codes and inspections. I have been installing windows for 45 years, did not want any liability, look up and followed the Marvin install directions to the T. Things like Marvin specifies 2" EG roofers for attachment. My Marvin distributor carries 1 3/4" roofers, I asked for what, they said to install Marvin windows. NO thanks I got 2", would 1 3/4" have done the job, yes, but I wanted no liability.
No one wants to be a PIA or EGR when hiring, but you have to protect yourself. You have given enough examples to show your concern is actual not imagined. Do your part and begin to make sure you get excellence.'
theWindowNerd

dapplega

#7 Post by dapplega »

Thank you for the input. Can you tell me more about the foam? Reading Milgard warranty it sounds like improper foam application or type can void warranty due to expansion. There wasn’t any foam in prior windows and they lasted about 20 years. I also was able measure the fin on one of the older windows and it was 1” compared to 1 1/4” on new window. I think I might be overthinking or just to detailed (thanks dad :)).

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Low expansion Window & Door foam is the best way to insulate windows and doors. It adds sound reduction, water seals, and also acts like adhesive.
The best way to apply W&D foam is with a progun and needle tip. These guns cost between $50 to $100.
Most of the cans that I have read state not to completely fill the cavity, normally 50%.
DO NOT use standard foam.

Did the install direction want a fin fastener every 8, 10 or 12"?

dapplega

#9 Post by dapplega »

Milgard spec references: AAMA 2410-13 Installation Instructions
Screenshot from 2024-06-10 12-32-08.png
Screenshot from 2024-06-10 12-32-08.png (45.04 KiB) Viewed 614 times

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Unfortunately you will have to have them read and follow the directions,