Wood vs fiberglass patio sliders, please someone answer?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tru_blue

Re: fiberglass doors

#16 Post by tru_blue »

Taylor wrote:I hear Thermathru quality has gone into the toilet since the bean counters took over. Take a look at Peachtree.

Take a look at NFRC ratings for doors as well. Peachtree's Newport door has excellent U-rating, much better than Thermathru, and way way better than wood. This last part breaks my heart, I have had my heart set on a Simpson door....

I wouldn't bother with a wood grain on a manufactured surface, be it fiberglass or vinyl. It just looks cheesy. Paint it and don't pretend it's anything but what it is.
Wow. I'd pretty much have to disagree with EVERYTHING that Taylor has said. I'd guess he has never used or thoroughly researched their products.

"I hear Thermathru quality has gone into the toilet . . ."
Huh? They're GREAT! They're the brand that all other brands compare themselves to. Therma-Tru (not Thermathru) claims to be the creator of fiberglass doors back in 1983 when everyone else sold wood or steel. They have several series of fiberglass doors with excellent performance statistics. They are THE industry giant in the fiberglass door industry and have an excellent reputation.

"Take a look at NFRC ratings for doors as well. Peachtree's Newport door has excellent U-rating, much better than Thermathru, and way way better than wood. This last part breaks my heart, I have had my heart set on a Simpson door.... "
The NFRC site does not rate Peachtree's sliding doors, only swinging. Totally different animal. Peachtree's website does not even have performance statistics posted on their sliding doors (not that I could find, anyway). Therma-Tru does. They have a DP55, with an air infiltration of .02. That's pretty darn good. However, I don't believe that Therma-Tru uses argon gas; it's Low E only. Therma-Tru's door has a lifetime warranty, non-prorated. Peachtree's warranty is a bit weak - 10 years, and another prorated 10 years after that.

I wouldn't bother with a wood grain on a manufactured surface, be it fiberglass or vinyl. It just looks cheesy. Paint it and don't pretend it's anything but what it is.
I guess that's your choice. I think a fiberglass oakgrained door looks nice, at least most of them. At least it's not a peelable foil that's glued on; it's an actual stainable surface! As I had stated in an earlier post, it's good to look at what you're getting to see how realistic the woodgrain looks - that can vary by manufacturer.

Lorenky

#17 Post by Lorenky »

Yes, as we discussed earlier in this thread, it's oak veneer whether it's over wood or fiberglass, so I'm assuming it would not look that different. The dealer I went to did bash the Therma-tru, though, and Vetter too, and really pushed Anderson. Is the Anderson worth the extra money like this dealer says, or should I stick with the fiberglass?

Taylor

#18 Post by Taylor »

Mea culpa, I missed that this thread is about French doors, I was thinking of entry doors.

My comment about Thermathru is not about their energy ratings, but what I have heard from installers. I decided against going with Thermathru myself after hearing complaints about quality. I'm open to education myself about alternatives.

tru_blue

Andersen vs Fiberglass

#19 Post by tru_blue »

I'm fine with either one, but if it were up to me I'd go with Andersen.

RickSanches

Re: Wood vs fiberglass patio sliders, please someone answer?

#20 Post by RickSanches »

I have good idea!