Outside window capping

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
airbuspete

Outside window capping

#1 Post by airbuspete »

Hello, I've recently moved into a house that has vinyl replacement windows that were installed approximately 10 yrs ago. A few of the windows have lost there "seal" and have considerable condensation between the panes that doesn't go away. One local window company insists that they replace not only the window but also "re-cap" the aluminum capping on the outside. The house has aluminum siding. I've looked closely at my windows with all the trim removed from the inside and I'm now thinking I can easily remove the windows from the inside and not disturb the "capping" on the outside. Is this company just trying to "step-up" my costs? Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Outside window capping

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Most of the time when we are replacing wooden doublehungs and the exterior is already capped, it is not capped like we do for a replacement window, but rather capped to where the storm window attaches to the stop. Taking off the storm window usually reveals uncapped stops, or stops with holes through the aluminum capping. If we have to cap the stops, it's going to cost me the same to have my installers do that as cap the window all over again new, and it will also look much nicer to do it new. In your case your capping was done for a replacement window, but after that amount of time cannot look very new.

I personally include capping on every order I sell. I'm not interested in having my jobs look anything but perfect, and that requires new capping. It's my name on the finished product, and I will not take a chance of someone confusing my work with someone elses crappy capping job. It's my reputation to protect. If someone wants to have their job end up looking half-assed to save money, they can hire my competition with no argument from me. I hope my perspective helps explain your contractors position. Good luck.