Preservation vs. Softlite vs. Gorell

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Cyclops

Preservation vs. Softlite vs. Gorell

#1 Post by Cyclops »

Looking to replace all 37 original builder grade windows in my 16 year old home and have gotten quotes for Preservation Energy Maxx 4, Softlite Imperial LS; and Gorell 5300. All quotes are for double-pane, low-E, argon filled; about 1/2 with grids and about half with tempered glass. All reps have said that triple-pane glass systems would not be cost effective in my area (Cincinnati). My main concern is energy efficiency, though I'd obviously like them to look nice too. My house currently gets really cold in the winter (particularly near the windows, though there doesn't appear to be any real air leakage or drafts) and cooks in the summer (front of house has lots of windows and gets direct sunlight pretty much all day long). Quotes range pretty widely ($19K to $26K) for what appear to be pretty comparable products. I'm interested in hearing opinions on these products and what factors (other than price) I should be considering. Any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated!

buddy11

Re: Preservation vs. Softlite vs. Gorell

#2 Post by buddy11 »

They are all pretty close in quality with the edge going to Gorell. I disagree with the TP statement though. TP will save more energy and Cinci can get pretty cold

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

They are all pretty close in quality with the edge going to Imperial LS. I disagree with the TP statement though. TP will save more energy and Cinci can get pretty cold
:mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

What price belongs to which quote? That will help the pros steer you to the right product....that being either the Gorell or the Soft-Lite.

Cyclops

#5 Post by Cyclops »

The Preservation quote is 19; the Gorell and Softlite quotes are both between 24.5 and 25.5, so I'd consider them "price neutral". I'm also hoping to negotiate the Gorell and Softlite numbers down a little to make them more competitive with the Preservation quote (though I don't know if they'll get all the way there).

If the pros would recommend Gorell over Softlite - even at a cost difference of over $150 per hole - I'm very interested to hear specifics of what I'm going to experience or not experience - as a consumer - with the Preservation that would justify an additional $5-6K...

Also interested to hear people say they would consider the Triple Pane in this area. Can anyone quantify the pros and cons of triple pane systems as they perform in a region that rarely gets colder than 20 degrees, and rarely warmer than 90 degrees? How much more am I likely to pay for Triple Pane? Is it really worth the added cost?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Preservation window is based off of the Alside Sheffield window. It is a sturdy product but has what I would consider massive design issues with air leakage and sill design.

The Soft-Lite product, and to a lesser extent the Gorell window, are much more airtight and well built. You will also get more glass with either of those windows which is a shock because they are both pretty thick profiles.

Cyclops

#7 Post by Cyclops »

Wow, that is an ugly window. But that definitely doesn't look like the Preservation window sample that I saw, or the photos available on their website (below). What am I missing? Also, can you describe for me what the issue is you have with the sill design? The Sheffield you reference has a slope sill, but the Preservation has a "TrueCapture" slope sill, which I'm led to believe is a major improvement. I honestly don't have my mind made up on these windows and I'm really not trying to defend them, but I want to make really sure that I understand what the issues are.

Thank you so much for your insights!

Cyclops

#8 Post by Cyclops »

Also - I'd really appreciate any more information that anyone has regarding double vs. triple pane in a central US climate. Should I really consider triple pane if I can get it for $60 or $70 dollars a hole more? It appears to improve efficiency quite a lot, but am I really going to experience that in this climate?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is possible that Alside has changed the sill design in the Preservation to address the issues with a clip in construction (i.e. air leakage, viewable glass loss, water collection, etc.). I can't be for certain.

It is also possible that their literature shows the window as it is set in an opening behind a large window sill and therefore minimizes the glass loss from that clip in design.

Ask you sales person if the window is based on the Sheffield model, if they even know that, or look at the window again and take a look at a corner cut of the sill.

As far as the triple pane vs. double pane comparison, it ultimately depends on what the upgrade will run you and how your home is built and orientated. On the South facing windows of the home, I would leave them as double if you get good sun exposure.

buddy11

#10 Post by buddy11 »

I mistook the preservation from alside as the restoration from Sunrise. :lol:

I wouldn't consider the Alside close to either the Gorell or Softlite

Donk711

#11 Post by Donk711 »

Cyclops - I am also beginning the search for replacement windows in the Cincy area. Who did you find to give you a Gorell quote? I contacted the company via their website but have not received a response.

I would also be intersted in learning who you received your quotes from.

TIA

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Consumers don't often return to post up their experiences after the installation is completed so the likelihood of him coming back is slim.

Call Gorell directly to get a list of dealers.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Donk711 wrote:Cyclops - I am also beginning the search for replacement windows in the Cincy area. Who did you find to give you a Gorell quote? I contacted the company via their website but have not received a response.

I would also be intersted in learning who you received your quotes from.

TIA
You are better off calling them.

They are a bit slow on email.

http://www.gorell.com/pages/contact_gorell.cfm