Better Makes/Models of Vinyl Replacement windows ?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mark

Better Makes/Models of Vinyl Replacement windows ?

#1 Post by Mark »

What are the better makes and models of vinyl replacement windows? I'm thinking mostly of double-hungs (as they seem to be pretty common).

I know that this is a constant topic, and that it was covered a lot on the old board, but this is a new board, and I thought I'd ask again (for me and anyone new).

I hoping that me (and other homeowners) can start at the top of your listing and work our way down until we find that magic combination of quality and price that makes us sign a contract. Thank you.

I know of these make and models (but my listing isn't a ranking, nor is it all inclusive):
Schuco 4000
Schuco 2000
Simonton 9800 Impressions
Simonton 5500 Reflections
Simonton 5300 (HomeDepot)
Simonton Prism Platinum
Alside Sheffield
Alside UltraMaxx
Alside Excaliber
Gorell 5300

Maybe if I have the major players listed above, you can put them in your order.

Thank you.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Here's my take on the windows of today:

Schuco (as of today it's the Cadillac in most peoples mind)
Any Local Manufacturer near you. (you may have a good one!)
Gilkey
Windstrom
Gorell
Certainteed & Great Lakes (fall very even to each other)
Simonton & Alside (also very even in product)
Milgard

I post these manufacturers on the merits of their top of the line products. So if they are sold to you on a Good, Better, Best situation. The BEST being the ones to go with. Now please keep in mind this is just MY OPINION and does not reflect anything from the board owners or operators. I think most professional installers out here who have been in the industry over 20 years can pretty much agree with these. Give or take a few. Also use Quality Professional installers!! You should trust them in your home and with your children!!!
Your local manufacturer may offer a great product for a good price. Take the time to see if you have one.

Mark

#3 Post by Mark »

Guy (and other experts)

So what are the BEST models within your listed manufacturers? I doubt you are saying that the Schuco 2000 is as good as the Schuco 4000? Is the Alside Excalibur as good as their Sheffield? Is the Simonton 5300 as good as the 5500 or the 9800?

We homeowners really need the top of the line products within each top manufacturer.

Thank you.

TomC

#4 Post by TomC »

Mark, As a consumer we first have to decide what is most important to us. To me, installation is a constant - it is always important. After that it varies. In my situation, I want to minimize the loss of glass. Because of that I am looking at the Gorell 5100 with a 3" frame/sash width instead of the 5300 with a 3 3/4" frame/sash width which would result in a glass loss of about 1 1/2" per window if I went with the 5300. The 5300 is Gorells best and may be a better window overall but not for me because I do not have really large windows and do not want to lose my view.

cam

Great Lakes

#5 Post by cam »

I have found the Uniframe window to be very good, at least their, triple pane, Low e2, Krypton-filled, window. Pricey, but worth it in resale/heat savings. Pretty good warrranty too, but that may be just here in the NW, where not many others offer triple pane and some of the other amenities of the Uniframe by Great Lakes. Anyway, hope that helps a bit. It really all depends on your needs/budget I suppose.

WVUGUY

If you're interested in Alside............

#6 Post by WVUGUY »

......you should also evaluate their Preservation product. Now, there is much hand-wringing around here concerning its comparatively poor air infiltration specifications. But, for those with a greater interest in the overall product rather than a specific spec item, I personally feel the Preservation matches up very well against anything on the market.