Mercer Windows

Share your experiences with others
Alex

Mercer Windows

#1 Post by Alex »

I'm not happy with Mercer Service. Below is a copy of the letter I sent to Service Department, after receiving a letter of service denial. I asked them to reply to my letter within 2 weeks. As of today, October 16 2011, I didn't get an answer.
I won't buy Mercer windows again.

Alex

Alex September 20, 2011
…………
…………
………….

To: Mercer Windows
P.O. Box 4700
Beaverton, OR 97060

Attn: Mercer Warranty Service

CC: Robert McMullen

Re: Your letter dated Aug. 11, 2011

To start with, it would be better if Mercer letters are signed by a person, if there is a name I can relate to. . Customers feel more confident their issues will be addressed if they have a direct contact. I don’t know who Mercer Warranty Service is and if I get no answer to my letter(s) I don’t know whom to contact. I am sending a copy of this letter to Robert for 2 reasons.

1. I want to have a contact person, and
2. Sales should be aware how Service is dealing with customers.

Let’s revisit this entire thing. I mid July I ordered 3 new windows. One window was misaligned. After the warranty registration I called for service and the Service Technician was scheduled to come on Aug. 3rd. A few days before he arrived I called to report that one of the windows purchase in 1994 was loosing the rubber seal, the seal that attaches the glass to the plastic edge. In my conversation with Julie we agreed that the technician may not have time to do the repair but he will look at the window. The technician was at least ½ hr. late for his appointment. He was under pressure to finish his job fast, and he did so for the window I purchased and installed in July. He was hesitant to go look at the 2nd window. We went there anyway, he tried to take the sliding part out. He could not do it right away. That is not a problem specific to this window. I have the same problem with all Mercer windows purchased in 1994, which are 5 feet wide or wider. They bowed right from the beginning, when they were installed in 1994. The narrower windows are fine; I can easily remove the sliding side on those.

The technician did not take any measurements. I was there with him. HE DID NOT TAKE ANY MEASUREMENTS. PERIOD! He said he can’t remove the sliding side because the house settled. I told him that could not be the reason. I have a 2 feet wide window just a few feet away and there is no problem there. I told him the window in question has been removed and reinstalled recently due to some stucco repair. He asked me why didn’t I call Mercer to address the issue when the window was removed from it’s frame. We ended the discussion there.

I believe it is inappropriate for a technician to engage in discussions with the customer regarding the timing the repair should be done. What he suggested could not work. I cannot ask my contractor to postpone his schedule to accommodated for Mercer Service Technicians schedule. At the same time I cannot ask Mercer to drop everything else and come work on my problem. Your Service Technician also said he took measurements when in fact he didn’t. He changed his mind about the reason for window failure (house settlement vs. improper installation) when I confronted him with the fact that I have another window just a few feet away which works fine. Please give me this person’s name. And I don’t want Mercer to sent him to my house, EVER!

One question I’d like to have answered is: How can any reasonable person, including Mercer Warranty Service people, claim the problem relates to improper installation when the sliding part moves easily back and forth? How can anybody claim the age of the window and weather exposure has nothing to do with it? Please check your records. I had windows repaired for this condition in the past. All previous service people said the problem is due to window age and weather exposure.

To summarize it all, your Aug. 11 letter is nonsense. I am asking Mercer Warranty Service to reconsider it’s decision. Please reply within 2 weeks and please give me the name of a person I will be dealing with.

Sincerely,

Alex