Window Scenario for bedroom

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
tbl01

Window Scenario for bedroom

#1 Post by tbl01 »

So I installed some simonton 9800's over a year ago.( 3 double hung and the glass package I based on recomendations from various posts "Bill")

Overall I have been very pleased at how quiet the window is and I dont notice much air infiltration if any. I did add the chim blocks as others have done when installed so I can comment if it helped. The joints could be a little cleaner(where they are fused), but I do like the look inside and the coloring to me is unique. I also like the double metal contoured handles and not the fused rail.

Some general questions:
When does the SHGC become too low where it impacts the Vt and has a negative impact in the room the windows are installed?
I have read so many different views my head is spinning.
Is the U vaule more important in an area that has a longer heating season and what is the threshold where U governs over SHGC?
Lastly to triple pane or not?

Most consider the Simonton a mid grade window, I have considered looking up level, but not sure I should mix and match windows in the house at this point. I have 6 more to go upstairs and they are in the front of the house so I think I need to be consistent. That being said,

Area is Westchester County NY
Room is 12'x14', two windows face due north,
One window faces east, sun in the am for a few hrs.
Double hung 9800 simonton w/grids U=.28, SHGC=0.24
Double hung triple pane simonton w/grids U=0.24, SHGC =0.21
Walls R-15, Celing R-30, insulated and sealed good.

Do you go for the U at the expense of light in the room. I think the SHGC of 0.24 , Vt=0.44 is acceptable on the windows installed now, but not sure how much lower will the widnows seem dark especially on the north side of the house.

The upcharge for the triple pane is$40 $274-$314, but is it worht the upcharge to lower the u vaule. Hard to tell.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Scenario for bedroom

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

SHGC and VT are more indirectly related. Low-e type and coating layers have more to do with VT and are also related to SHGC depending on the coating type.

Don't get too hung up on the SHGC concerns except for the South facing windows. West have very little impact and North and East have basically no impact.

I would go for the triple pane. It is a worthwhile investment.

I would also upgrade the insulation in the attic to R-50.

Stay with the same model of window for consistency sake.

tbl01

#3 Post by tbl01 »

Thank you WOW for you response. You dont think the Vt will be too low with the SHGC hovering around 0.21. I guess there is alot of glass in this particular room, and heating season dominates especially this year.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like it should be fine.

Good luck with the project and post up some before and after.