Looking for energy efficient windows.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ethelsimmons

Looking for energy efficient windows.

#1 Post by Ethelsimmons »

Hey guys! Let me come to the topic directly. My windows are pretty old and since its the winter season its been really difficult for us to stay in. The windows are not heat resistant anymore and it has become difficult to keep the heat intact in the room. We are seriously thinking of replacement. But would love to get suggestions on what kind of window will suit both winter and summer season. I do not want the heat to conduct out from my room during winters at the same time the extreme heat must not come in during summers. How about vinyl windows? I've heard that vinyl windows from Landmark Home Solutions at Kingston are more efficient energy savers. Would like to get some genuine comments on it.

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for energy efficient windows.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the optimum glass will depend, in large part, where the home is located.

Where is the home?

I am guessing the windows are single pane wood with a storm?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Great questions by WoW.

To answer some of your other questions, a premium vinyl window can be a great choice. By the company that you listed, I assume that you are north of the border?
I'd recommend comparing via the independently tested performance ratings for thermal and structural performance.

On the particular company that you mentioned, it looks like they have a 40% energy savings guarantee on their windows. Here in the States, the FTC has labeled that as a deceptive practice and cracked down accordingly. Not only is that level of savings nearly impossible to achieve (a GREAT return on window replacement is in the ballpark of 15%), but there are layers of red tape and hoops that make it impossible to quantify and/or collect on the guarantee.
I would highly recommend doing business with a company that does not use such tactics.
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-re ... -materials

bgbrock

#4 Post by bgbrock »

Based on the fact that you mention "Kingston" leads me to believe you are in the Toronto area.

Vinyl windows will suit you just fine, IF, you choose the correct manufacturers. You also have have a great fiberglass manufacturer near you as well - INLINE.