OKNA 800DX Triple Pane Double Hung- Initial Impressions

Share your experiences with others
NorthernMaryland

OKNA 800DX Triple Pane Double Hung- Initial Impressions

#1 Post by NorthernMaryland »

The WOW team installed my windows today. :D They even arrived a little early (no problem to me) despite my rather outlier location. To my untrained eyes they did an excellent job. Everything appears tight and sealed both outside and inside. The sashes are tight, I can't rattle them at all when they are closed and locked. The installation seemed to go quickly, about 3 hours time for my 5 double hung windows. The three man team were friendly and kept my light colored rugs clean while working and cleaned up all around nicely.

The windows look really nice. The sash lines are slim looking and the welds are smooth and even. The vinyl has a nice shiny, smooth look to it too. The surprising thing about the triple pane is how invisible that middle pane is. I was expecting to be able to easily see 3 panes as I looked around the edges of the sashes but no, it is hidden well on this OKNA window. I guess the only thing that really gives me a clue it is triple pane is the double spacer "look" between the inner and outermost panes. The thickness between the inner and outer panes also makes it clear that it is triple. Anyhow, just think it is good that it is so well hidden, in a sense.

Maybe because of the weight of triple pane, not sure, but lifting the windows, so far, takes a little more effort than I was thinking it would be. It could be that it is just so tight fitting all around the sashes, necessarily so to give it the great air infiltration quality, that it requires some effort to lift and pull back down. I think is actually easier to lift than to pull back down. I wouldn't call this an issue for me in any negative way at this point but just an early new window observation. I love though how overall tight and sturdy these windows seem to be.

I will probably add more to this review after I have had time to live with my new windows for a while under different weather conditions but this is clearly a well made window with an great WOW team installation.

Windows on Washington

Re: OKNA 800DX Triple Pane Double Hung- Initial Impressions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the feedback Greg.

The windows are tighter when they are brand new to be certain.

Thanks for using us for the project and I hope that we can serve you for years to come.

Eric and the WoW Team.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Of course the new windows are tighter and much heavier, thats a good thing. You have a top window from a top installer.
Try not to overly analyze your new windows. If you keep hyper focusing, you are going to think a million things are wrong. Lol
Just enjoy the fruits of your investment.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the advice above. It sounds like everything is in order. Windows seals will relax a little bit over time making operation smoother. For the fact that you had mentioned that it maybe slightly harder to push down than pull up, that may just be due in some part to the balance system being appropriately sized for triple pane... If you have a huge variance in "feel" across the various window units then maybe it could use a look, but if they are all at least in the same ballpark of feeling consistent, it sounds like they are operating exactly as they should be.

NorthernMaryland

#5 Post by NorthernMaryland »

Rather than start a new topic I am going to post this here and hope that WOW sees it.

Anyhow, about the primed wood that is along the insides of the windows, I was thinking about putting a minwax polyurethane clear coat overtop of it for added protection, maybe add some gloss too. I like that it is already whitish in color and matches the white vinyl pretty good. My questions are -

1. should I even need to do that if I am not interested in a color change?
2. if do decide to do it would I need to "rough up" the primed surface for good adherence?
- I would be hesitant to rough it up though since I would be concerned the whitish look would be scraped away.

Any helpful hints or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

No need to rough up the primed surface. Just make sure it is clean and the caulking is dry.

I would paint it with a similar gloss level to the interior trim if you want to go that route. Note sure how a clear poly would love over top the white.

NorthernMaryland

#7 Post by NorthernMaryland »

Eric, do you think anything really needs to be applied to it at all?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most people say that they are going to finish paint their primed woods, but never do. They hold up well, even primed.

NorthernMaryland

#9 Post by NorthernMaryland »

I think my rooms are actually a quieter with the new triple pane windows. I know conventional thinking is that triple pane doesn't add much sound proofing, and I live in a relatively quiet location to begin with, but I really do think it is quieter :mrgreen: .

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sure it is. The thinking is that triple pane isn't any quieter than double pane...not the double pane that we took out though.

The air tightness and mass of the new unit is superior to what we took out and will therefore be a bit quieter.