Need Guidance on Replacement Windows!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
blackdak318

Need Guidance on Replacement Windows!!

#1 Post by blackdak318 »

First off: I have not read or searched thru past threads. We just had a baby and I honestly don't have time to spend hours and hours reading. I know I could probably find what I"m looking for that way but hope to get help with a new thread as well.

We recently purchased a new to us 2 story home in a higher end neighborhood. It was originally built in 2001. We currently have Caradco wood windows that are shot. Almost all of them have seal failure and multiple have wood sill rot. I'm going to replace all of them and am struggling mightily in regards to replacement windows. We absolutely love the way the wood looks both interior and exterior, but I'm snake bit by wood and absolutely do not want to use again.

I would love to go with the Marvin Integrity fiberglass windows but I got quoted over $20,000 for our replacements. I just can't bring myself to pay that for windows. I got a quote of about $17,000 for Pella Prolines but after reading reviews and deciding I'm against wood I decided against that as well.

What I'm closest to pulling the trigger on currently is vinyl replacements from America's Best Choice for about $13,000. I had major concerns about quality of windows and installers but after speaking with the franchise owner I'm much more comfortable. I just wanted to get everyone's take on if that is a good decision. The window brands they suggest are MGM or Heartland. From looking at them I feel the Heartland is the better window, but MGM seems ok as well. I honestly don't know much about windows so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm in Omaha, NE so if anyone has a highly recommended company here to use I'm all for it. I'm also open to recommendations regarding specific brands of windows to avoid or to use. In short I'm looking for the best bang for the buck replacements in a nice 2 story. I'm willing to spend extra to make sure it is a good window by a good installer but I can't spend 20k. Any suggestion or constructive criticism would be appreciated. I'm looking to stay in the $15,000 price range for about 17-19 replacement windows. We would like casements and sliders but are open to double hung in a few areas. Dark brown or bronze on the outside and we would really love to be able to paint the inside but if cost prohibitive we are ok with white on the inside.

I feel like there is a ton of misinformation, propaganda, and deceitfulness in the window industry. The wood window guys trash vinyl, the vinyl guys trash wood and fiberglass, the fiberglass guys trash everything not fiberglass, etc etc. I'm looking for the true story from some good people. It definitely seems like vinyl is what we will end up with for the price point I'm looking at. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it as this is a big dollar purchase for us and I want to do it right the first time.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need Guidance on Replacement Windows!!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are on the right track.

While you don't need to spend a lifetime doing research, I suspect that you would spend some time researching any purchase that would approach this dollar value.

I will concede that there is a good bit of back and forth when it comes to different material manufacturers. You won't get any of that here.

Biggest thing to do is to find a company that is giving you the straight scoop. Who is being honest with you and is backing up their claims with data points that are verifiable?

blackdak318

#3 Post by blackdak318 »

I did find some time to research and it seems like Sunrise and Okna are the 2 go to windows everyone recommends here. I found my local installers for those 2 brands and have set up appointments. I'll post back with their recommendations and costs after received to see what everyone recommends. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds great. Keeps posted.

You can't go wrong with either of those.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: You can't go wrong with either of those.
Exactly.

The only thing that I would add is to make sure to get the proper glass package quoted in Sunrise double hung. For the northern region, the new Energy Star U value needed is .27. You need triple pane to get that without using a an undesirable glass package. If you are looking at casements, I believe it meets with double.

Along those same lines, to cut through all of the clutter the best thing to do is look at the performance ratings. U value, shgc, air leakage, DP, and condensation resistance will give you the tools to accurately compare products.

Bulka14

#6 Post by Bulka14 »

I have been doing alot of research on windows because I am in the same boat that I need new windows. We are really looking at pulling the trigger on Soft-lite Imperial LS. I would atleast give them a shot. They seem to be a good solid window and cheaper then some of the other companies we looked at.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Better than just "solid".

The Soft-Lite Imperial LS and even more so, the Elements are top notch performer. You are in good hands on the product side of the equation if you stay with either of those two out of that manufacturer.

wdccruise

#8 Post by wdccruise »

You might want to consider Enerlux fiberglass windows (enerluxwindows.com) which are manufactured in Omaha. Their windows are my first choice for our 1980's Washington, DC condo window replacement project after reviewing and getting quotes on several fiberglass windows (we can't install vinyl windows because our building is in a historic neighborhood and vinyl street-facing windows are not permitted). Enerlux manufactures casements and one of their standard colors is the dark bronze you want. It'll make windows with different exterior and interior colors for an extra charge.
Like you, I obtained a quote for Marvin (Infinity) windows and they were extremely expensive compared to Enerlux. I also considered Inline but Enerlux may be better due to their closed-back frame and better paint. However, Inline are less expensive. Enerlux has a "forever" warranty on everything except the screens for the original owner.
Enerlux doesn't provide recommendation for installers -- in fact I just posted a question asking for a recommendation for DC -- but it might be easy to find an installer in Enerlux's home town.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

wdccruise wrote:You might want to consider Enerlux fiberglass windows (enerluxwindows.com) which are manufactured in Omaha. Their windows are my first choice for our 1980's Washington, DC condo window replacement project after reviewing and getting quotes on several fiberglass windows (we can't install vinyl windows because our building is in a historic neighborhood and vinyl street-facing windows are not permitted). Enerlux manufactures casements and one of their standard colors is the dark bronze you want. It'll make windows with different exterior and interior colors for an extra charge.
Like you, I obtained a quote for Marvin (Infinity) windows and they were extremely expensive compared to Enerlux. I also considered Inline but Enerlux may be better due to their closed-back frame and better paint. However, Inline are less expensive. Enerlux has a "forever" warranty on everything except the screens for the original owner.
Enerlux doesn't provide recommendation for installers -- in fact I just posted a question asking for a recommendation for DC -- but it might be easy to find an installer in Enerlux's home town.
The historic district will allow fiberglass but not vinyl? That's odd... Perhaps a regional thing, but around here it comes down to real wood vs everything else.
Not familiar with Enerlux. What are the u factor and air infiltration ratings? The Inline product is very good in those areas. Marvin, while pretty and well made, does not boast performance as a strong suit.

wdccruise

#10 Post by wdccruise »

The building is in a historic district but the building itself is not a historic structure. I know the rules are much tighter for historic buildings than for other ones that are in the district. I can't explain why vinyl windows are prohibited and fiberglass are allowed as they don't look all that different, particularly from across the street. There are lots of rotting wood windows in buildings around here. Raising the cost of replacement by forcing owners to use fiberglass over vinyl just causes the neighborhood to look shabby.

blackdak318

#11 Post by blackdak318 »

Appreciate the input and feed back guys. Apologize about not getting back sooner. I got quotes from Sunrise and Okna and they were both way more than what I wanted to spend (both over 20k). They were in the $1,200 to 1,400 range per window which I think is crazy for vinyl. I had a really bad experience with the Okna rep. which was very disappointing because they were my leader from reviews I read on here.

Right now the Soft Lite Imperial LS is leading in the "name brand" category at about 17k total.

Still looking into the America's Best Choice option with Heartland Windows. Anyone know anything about that brand? They also rep the MGM brand. Thoughts???

I'll definitely give Enerlux a call. Thanks for the suggestion!

wdccruise

#12 Post by wdccruise »

The Enerlux window prices -- excluding installation -- were surprisingly competitive with those of vinyl windows. You may even be able to take a look at them at the plant, something I can't do from DC. Enerlux is sending a 1/4 window so I can get an idea of how it looks.

blackdak318

#13 Post by blackdak318 »

I just got a quote from Enerlux on their fiberglass window and it is VERY competitive. Good chance I will be going with them. Appreciate the input as they were not on my radar at all before! What do you think about their performance ratings? What glass upgrades would everyone recommend? We have a very large West exposure that gets a lot of sun/heat I would like to mitigate that.

wdccruise

#14 Post by wdccruise »

Resources from an amateur (me): Amateur's answer to your specific question: LoE 366 for west-facing windows.

blackdak318

#15 Post by blackdak318 »

Met with Enerlux in person yesterday and am extremely impressed with their window. I will be using them for sure. They also have a custom interior color option for only $300 total that my wife was very happy about. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking. My independent installation contractor was pretty skeptical as he had never heard of them but even he was impressed with their window after our talk yesterday.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. It is good to have this window selection process behind me.

Just waiting on my install number and a revised quote from Enerlux and I'm pulling the trigger.