Question for Delaware Mike

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Inquirer

Question for Delaware Mike

#1 Post by Inquirer »

I copied this from a post of yours.

Most LS guys are establish dealers in which Soft-Lite has been with for many years and Soft-Lite doesn't expect to have to make a field call in the future for a warranty problem if the dealer isn't in business any longer.

Does this mean that Soft Lite doesn't want to support the customer if the dealer goes out of business?

Delaware Mike

Re: Question for Delaware Mike

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Of course SL wants to provide support to the homeowners that purchase their products. I've personally performed IG-units swap outs and misc. parts replacements for various SL dealers in the area that aren't around anymore due to a multitude of reasons. SL like many premium window manufacturers has to choose their dealers carefully.

We industry insiders see all of the dirt out there. Gorell was utilizing very bad glazing practices as did Great Lakes. Window Wizards in my area had a horrible reputation by employing hack installers and selling mostly bottom of the barrel windows for many years. Simonton just got hit with a class action law suite for bad glazing.

I wouldn't hesitate for second regarding the upper lines from OKNA, Soft-Lite, or Sunrise. I'm not familiar with the other manufacture that you're considering so I can't comment on them. If there were something better out there in premium vinyl, I'd be selling it.

Grayson73

#3 Post by Grayson73 »

Mike,

What is your website and do you service Potomac, MD 20854?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Grayson, I'm sorry, I don't really do Maryland these days. How far are you from the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

There’s only one company that I would recommend to my family and friends in the greater Washington DC area, and that is Windows on Washington. You won’t find a more professional company to deal with, offering the industry’s leading products and utilizing superior installation methods to ensure your long-term satisfaction. I’d highly recommend contacting them and seeing what they can do for you.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Big +1 there! Sounds like you may not be covered by one true pro and great guy in Delaware Mike, but you should be by another in Windows in Washington. Highly recommend.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Windows on Washington serves your area and that would be my best advice you. Top notch outfit.

pinktennisball

#8 Post by pinktennisball »

HI Mike, I am located in Dover, DE. Do you service this area? We have Pella Proline double hung windows and 2 of the windows are rotting on the bottom portion of the sash. We want to know if it can be repaired or replaced with similar sash that won't rot. We don't want to replace the whole window. I'm not sure if it's the right term but I am looking to do a pocket replacement? How do we go about it? What do you recommend? I know Pella had a class-action lawsuit but it has been closed in 2018 and we missed it.TYIA

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Dover is right on the edge for me regarding my service area. Did a private contractor install those for you, or where they in the house previously before you obtained the house? I ask as I'm friendly with the local Pella store on 202 in North Wilmington. They could guide you through obtaining OEM replacement sashes. I can retrofit those Pella frames with something like the OKNA Eco-Pro 600dx if desired. Just did some that way recently. Let me know. My uncle is pretty sick in Lewis and I'm due for a trip down to see him very soon which would put my right by Dover on the way down.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

pinktennisball
Depending on the vintage of the Proline units they may still be supported by Pella. Do you have the original paperwork for the windows?
Are there any code sticker on the glass in the lower corners.
We have a service scheduled just like yours replacing two Pella sash.
DE Mike is the only other guy I would trust to work on my windows.
theWindowNerd

pinktennisball

#11 Post by pinktennisball »

The house was built in 2000 and I'm not the original owner. I looked for stickers but it looks like they were all peeled off. I can't find them on any of the windows. I did talk to Pella and they even came out but they quoted me a ridiculous price for the sashes. Both windows are the same exact size. One is rotting at the bottom part of sash of the upper sash and the other is rotting at the bottom part of sash on the lower sash. So basically I need one upper sash and one lower sash of one whole window. I know how to take them out by pushing the sides in and can take the cord off of the old sash and put on the new sash. Pella quoted $791.50 for each sash x 2! Tan outside and white inside.

1: 3759 Double Hung, Equal
Frame Size: 37 X 59
General Information: Clad, 5", 3 11/16"
Service: Sash Only, Jan 1997 - Current, Upper Sash
Exterior Color / Finish: Standard Enduraclad, Tan
Interior Color / Finish: Prefinished White Paint Interior
Glass: Insulated Low-E Standard Argon Non High Altitude
Grille: No Grille,
Wrapping Information: Perimeter Length = 192", Glazing Pressure = 75.

To me this price seems way too high. Is there any better more economical way to fix the problem?
Should I look into repairing the sash instead? Is that possibility?
I'm located in Wild Quail if you are familiar with this area.

I also inquired about a new weatherstrip for the bottom of the sash and they quoted $109 each! Aren't they just a piece of rubber? Do I need to buy Pella weatherstrip or is there generic ones that I can just buy at Home Depot? I also found these online: https://www.swisco.com/Pella-Rainstrip/ ... eal/58-178

Thank you for all of your advise and expertise!

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can by the whole window for less than the two sash. then take the sash out of the frame and install the sash.
You need 1 upper, 1 lower sash of a 3759 Tan/white proline DH?

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

oops, proline discontinued.
I can get you both sash for $840.
You have to pick up at 19847.
email me if interested
wayne@thewindownerds.com