Manufacturer for Slim Profile Vinyl Replacement Windows.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
LennyTX

Manufacturer for Slim Profile Vinyl Replacement Windows.

#1 Post by LennyTX »

We are located in the Houston TX area and are looking for vinyl replacement windows. Some of our windows are only 24” wide, so we are thinking a slender profile frame like the Milgard Style Line would be good. However, we also have a round top single hung window measuring 36” x 114” and apparently Milguard will not build a replacement window over 107” tall. (I prefer to avoid mulling two windows together as a solution if possible.)

We've been told that American Window Systems (Fort Worth, TX) can build the 114” round top window in its V25 Slimline series. Does anyone have any experience regarding the sturdiness of the AWS V25 Slimline product or other slim profile vinyl windows in general? Any suggestions regarding potential window manufacturers to consider for this project would be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Manufacturer for Slim Profile Vinyl Replacement Windows.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Ultra Windows.....

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I understand the desire for the narrowest frames possible, but understand that when you go with overly narrow frames, you’re giving up rigidity and strength. Milgard’s Styleline has a pocket sill, if I’m not mistaken, and that is a horrible design, particularly here where we have tremendous mildew issues with areas that stay wet.

Have you considered thermally-broken aluminum at all? It would be a good option for narrow frames without compromising the strength.

LennyTX

#4 Post by LennyTX »

Randy, very good point about the Milgard pocket sill in this area, and yes we are considering thermally broken window frames as well. Thus far, we have been told that neither Milgard nor Don Young will make a thermally broken round top 36” wide x 114” tall window (with no mulling involved). So, we are on a quest to find a band name replacement window company that will. Any success that you have had in this regard would be welcome news. Thanks.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

If you find most manufacturers saying no to an oversized window, there’s a good reason. Any manufacturer that will make that in one piece will probably not have much of a warranty on the glass. I recently quoted a large unit through one of my vendors and they refused to warranty the glass if it bowed enough in the center to touch.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

If you like a certain window but they do not have what you need for that one, I would do the rest of the windows in your preffered choice and then find something to accommodate that one oddball. I wouldn't settle for the rest of the home just for one. That one would likely have a different profile anyhow since its an arch top so I don't think there would be much of a matching issue. Just my opinion

tru_blue

#7 Post by tru_blue »

Two main thoughts come to mind.

First, an issue regarding the mulling of units. You had mentioned the current window is a round top single hung. I'm wondering if you meant the current window is a single hung with a round top transom, or an actual one-unit single hung that has a round top. If you meant the former, it's not unreasonable to consider a mulled unit, considering that there are relatively few manufacturers of a single unit with that size and shape. However, if you desire the latter, as you had stated, that leads to issue #2:

That type of unit is made by numerous wood window manufacturers, with a clad exterior, and in two flavors: as a round top single hung or as just a single round top fixed unit. If fixed, you could get a narrow profile direct set unit. If a single hung, the profile would be much wider but functional. Recognizing that you prefer a vinyl unit over wood and aluminum, if longevity was a concern, some manufacturers of wood windows carry a lifetime wood warranty. Of the big four, Jeld-Wen has a lifetime wood & 20 years glass warranty, Pella has lifetime wood & lifetime glass, Marvin & Andersen have 10 years wood and 20 years glass. I've actually done some roundtop single hungs in that size range with wood but it was maybe 10-15 years ago, and back then I think they were probably $2,000 a pop or more.

I agree with Randy's points that if you select a vinyl manufacturer with a narrow profile, you're potentially giving up rigidity and strength, and that thermally-broken aluminum may also be a viable option to consider. I'm not familiar with any fiberglass windows that can be made to those specifications.